What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you mount your iPad in your car?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
If you do, share what method you use to mount it also let us know what accessories and apps you use while in the car.

When I had my iPad first generation I mounted my iPad in my car. My stereo had a door flap the could be closed to hide the entire stereo system. I stuck a piece of velcro on the door flap so you can't see the velcro when the door is up, but when its down you have the velcro for mounting the iPad. To attach the iPad to the stereo door I got a small square of flat clear plastic from Home Depot. I cut out a square the same size as my stereo door and put a piece of velcro on it. Since the stereo door flap is curved this would give me a nice flat plastic service. I then used an iPad window mount that I got for like $5 from deal extreme to hold the iPad.

Don't know if you can really picture it from my description but it actually turned out pretty nice and the iPad was held in place nice and secure. I was able to be swiveled to be used by either the driver or passenger.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been known to duct tape it to the windshield of my truck occasionally. That's so I can do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. Commuting long distance isn't something I will put up with. My daily drive is about 15 mins. Even my second home is close to a city center, so no car mount in that car, either.

When I take road trips, I use my iPads only if I've pulled over or while my husband drives. When I use an iPad in the car, I want it up close. A mount would be too far away. When I'm parked and waiting, I have an iPad easel that fits snugly on my steering wheel.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
No. Commuting long distance isn't something I will put up with. My daily drive is about 15 mins. Even my second home is close to a city center, so no car mount in that car, either.

When I take road trips, I use my iPads only if I've pulled over or while my husband drives. When I use an iPad in the car, I want it up close. A mount would be too far away. When I'm parked and waiting, I have an iPad easel that fits snugly on my steering wheel.

My commute is about 30min in the morning and an hour on the way back from work. The iPad makes for an excellent navigation tool. I would use it with the Navigon app for turn by turn direction. (I can't find my way without a GPS) The screen is nice and large, easy to see, and I like how the Navigon app even tells you what lane you should be in.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My commute is about 30min in the morning and an hour on the way back from work. The iPad makes for an excellent navigation tool. I would use it with the Navigon app for turn by turn direction. (I can't find my way without a GPS) The screen is nice and large, easy to see, and I like how the Navigon app even tells you what lane you should be in.

You need driving directions to get between home and work?

For driving directions, I still prefer a regular GPS device.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
There is a fit ipad mount thread here somewhere with some different versions of homemade car mounts. Might be worth looking into for those interested

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
You need driving directions to get between home and work?

For driving directions, I still prefer a regular GPS device.

No, but If they send me out anywhere I do. Also I still use it on the way to work because it knows traffic and routes me around traffic jams.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, my GPS reroutes for traffic or detours, too.

I've used iPad a couple of times for traffic when my husband drives. I use that if we've not got the GPS on and suddenly hit traffic.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Garmin GPS in my truck. I used the iPhone when I first acquired it, just as an experiment, but soon found out I preferred the Garmin. The kind of info I'm looking for can't easily be replicated on an iDevice.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Garmin, too. I like that mine lets me dial and answer my phone, and its speakers are loud. When I'm on a long drive, I use it for audiobooks, and it stops the book while giving directions, then backtracks a beat to pick up the story.

Chapslick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would never mount my iPad on my car. I'd be way too afraid of it falling off and cracking.

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
They sell things for you to be able to mount the iPad onto the back of the headrest for the person in the back seat.

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just hope youare talking about doing this for the passengers and not the driver...

DNC1968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, but I'm considering it for navigation on a bigger screen than my iPhone. I have the NavFree App installed on both and it works very well. It's at least as good as my Garmin and better than a TomTom!

Via Tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts