What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My car mount prototype

benst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought an iPad and decided to mount it in the car for big screen GPS and iTunes for music.

My effort is no better than a prototype, but I doubt I'll be able to improve it much - trying not to spend any money, just used parts I already had at home.

I used an aftermarket stereo mounting bracket, a bit of right angled metal, a wall speaker mount, small piece of thin MDF, and velcro (with one side attached to the back of my TPU iPad case). The speaker mount allows me to set the perfect position, and this brings the iPad closer to me, so I don't have to reach to change songs or whatever, but it's a bit in your face, so i may remove it. I've used wingnuts so I can easily remove the bracket if I need to.

I've temporarily mounted it in the top slot, and moved the stereo down but the stereo face plate is a different shape to the hole in the dash so it doesn't fit and looks shit. At least this way I can still access the stereo controls easily, but I don't need to as steering wheel controls will change volume and still switch to radio if I want.

And as you can see I haven't trimmed any bolts yet or painted any of it to make it blend in.

_DSC4674.jpg

_DSC4678.jpg

_DSC4680.jpg

I'd love to do something like what these guys have done but I don't want to completely destroy the dash, and it would probably cost at least $500 (if not $1k including new dash parts) to pay someone else to mount it properly:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaVigs8Who[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiRSna2yCMk[/ame]

Shayneox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would get that steering wheel issue fixed first ,with it being on the wrong side and all.
Lotion in the passenger door panel , for emergency use only :)

Great idea on the mount though , a hot glue gun and some fake pleathure from a fabric store and it would be cherry.

I think you just inspired me to try it now , Thanks for sharing.

OP
B

benst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would get that steering wheel issue fixed first ,with it being on the wrong side and all.
Lotion in the passenger door panel , for emergency use only :)

Great idea on the mount though , a hot glue gun and some fake pleathure from a fabric store and it would be cherry.

I think you just inspired me to try it now , Thanks for sharing.

You cheeky monkey - that's windscreen washer soap.

Is hot-glue the only sort to use? Is there a cold alternative?

Shayneox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gorilla glue would work great , you get that pleathure like the one shown on this site wallpaper and that would look great , you could even do the mount ,
Shun super glue for the obvious white residue fingerprint issue.

Once I get my life in order , just moved to an island, I will attempt a car mod based on your design due to the simplicity and the ability to make it look good and cheap as heck.

fenderprowler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.freeipadjailbreak.org
I recently bought an iPad and decided to mount it in the car for big screen GPS and iTunes for music.

My effort is no better than a prototype, but I doubt I'll be able to improve it much - trying not to spend any money, just used parts I already had at home.

I used an aftermarket stereo mounting bracket, a bit of right angled metal, a wall speaker mount, small piece of thin MDF, and velcro (with one side attached to the back of my TPU iPad case). The speaker mount allows me to set the perfect position, and this brings the iPad closer to me, so I don't have to reach to change songs or whatever, but it's a bit in your face, so i may remove it. I've used wingnuts so I can easily remove the bracket if I need to.

I've temporarily mounted it in the top slot, and moved the stereo down but the stereo face plate is a different shape to the hole in the dash so it doesn't fit and looks shit. At least this way I can still access the stereo controls easily, but I don't need to as steering wheel controls will change volume and still switch to radio if I want.

And as you can see I haven't trimmed any bolts yet or painted any of it to make it blend in.

_DSC4674.jpg

_DSC4678.jpg

_DSC4680.jpg

I'd love to do something like what these guys have done but I don't want to completely destroy the dash, and it would probably cost at least $500 (if not $1k including new dash parts) to pay someone else to mount it properly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaVigs8Who
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiRSna2yCMk
That's Great! However those who paid for the service have a better style and design.
Whid on't you save some money and then paid for this service.

Your Renault would be a 5 Stars Car!

Most reactions

Latest posts