Do I need dock?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ellie, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Ellie

Ellie iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have case coming today. Is there any reason why I will need dock with case? I assume you will be able to charge from case.
  2. IpadOne

IpadOne iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But the case is not valid in vertical, can't charge and not sure will be stable ....
  3. JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    I don't have a Dock and don't plan to get one anytime soon.
  4. CaptKirk

CaptKirk iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You can charge and dock with the power cable/usb cable that came with your iPad. You wont be able to dock your iPad into the dock with the case

hope that helps.
  5. wot_fan

wot_fan iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Ellie, no you don't need a dock. It is really just a convenience. I use them (ordered 3) because I don't like messing with cables. When I need to charge or sync my iPad, I can easily set it in the dock one handed (taking it out unfortunately takes two hands). Also when I use my bluetooth keyboard, the dock acts as a stand.

Being able to see the screen and use the iPad as a digital picture frame while docked is an added plus. The dock also makes it easier to connect to your stereo since the audio cable can remain connected to the dock so you don't have to plug it in every time.
  6. Greg G

Greg G iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    How stable is the iPad in the dock? I want to put one on my night table but I am afraid it will be too easy to knock over when I reach for my glasses or something. From the picture it looks quite small compared to the size of the iPad.

-Greg
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  7. brhon

brhon iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I want to be able to dock my Ipad with a cover on it. It would be nice to have a cover I can just leave on and mess around with changing for every time I want to dock or leave the house. The Apple cover is good for around the house but it does not work with my new Incase Travel kit.
  8. dks

dks iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ordered the dock... but now I got to thinking that I don't really 'need' a dock... but the comment about the stereo hookups is a good point so maybe I will keep it.

I really do wish there was a case that, like the apple case, allows for several viewing/typing angles & folds flat... but also has a cover with a secured closure & one that will fit on the charging dock without having to be removed... would be really nice.
  9. Edlex

Edlex iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ordered the dock simply for convenience either when I'm working on my desktop and/or syncing the ipad. Mostly to use it as a digital frame during family parties during the holidays. I was told by zagg that their new case will come in leather so I'll definitely get that one for the times I'm going to be mobile.
  10. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    All that is needed for a dock is to go to any store that handles plate stands or picture frame stands and find one that works for you. It will be a lot cheaper than a factory made stand and you might find one that has better stability. It likely will only charge in the portrait position, but you can get one that will hold the iPad and case together.

I don't know of any iPad stand I would trust on my night table. The chaotic hand motion when I go to hit the snooze button, would destroy almost any electronics.
  11. Laren

Laren iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got both the dock and case today, the dock only works in portrait mode which is not what I expected. Which I had not wasted the money for it. The case is okay and provide good protection, you can plug in the connector and all switches are available without removing it from the case.
  12. iSoozin60

iSoozin60 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I bought the dock - it's very small but it weighs 5.3 oz so it's very sturdy with the iPad on it - and it has a nonslip bottom. I'd rather have my iPad in the dock than laying flat on the table alongside me, where I have too many toys. At least in the dock it takes up less space and I won't accidentally sit something on top of it!!!

Susan
  13. DavidNM

DavidNM iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just received my small dock in the mail. Although I don't have my 3G yet my iPod touch does fit in there as well. I think it will be convenient to be able to just plug in and sync / charge without moving cables around. Will have to see what everyone else comes out with. The apple dock is very small and looks sturdy - I'm not sure I want a dock that is the size of a small brick - with a million ports, etc.
  14. Ghuda

Ghuda iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ordered the dock and they will deliver this Thursday. After using the onboard keypad, I honestly don't know how much i will use the dock for typing.

I am getting very comfortable with the onboard and like the relationship to the screen.

We will see how the dock performs when it arrives. It might end up just being a nice stand for charging.
  15. DavidNM

DavidNM iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Really - do you have your iPad tilted up at the far end? Is it uncomfortable staring at the screen while typing?
  16. Ghuda

Ghuda iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i usually place the IPad flat on my Icase and type with it flat. works nice.

But right know i am typing on my keyboard dock that arrived today. i must admit it is very nice to type on. the arrow keys are brilliant as i am a fair typist at best so i end up going back and editing what i type, and this was a little trickier with just the ipad onboard keyboard.

Apple scores another hit with the keyboard dock, its great!
  17. robb25j

robb25j iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll get a dock just so it can sit on my nightstand at night when I'm home it will be my alarm clock
  18. jclynadms

jclynadms iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dock works for them who want to be away from the hassles of the wires. It just provides you with a lot more convenience to handle and work, which would not have been so easy with the wires dangling all over. It is not a necessity but just the matter of your convenience and so it would completely depend on you whether to go for it or not.
  19. henry2

henry2 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    i have the dock for the desktop for use as it need one at work and one at home to sync up as need with the ipad
  20. cherhall

cherhall iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I preordered a case from Hard Candy, that will ship on the 20th that allows you to use the dock while still in the case. Has a cover that snaps on to cover the front when not in use. However, last week while roaming around our local PX, I noticed one of the cell phone kiosks already had a dock for $20 that can be used landscape or portrait. So I'll probably get one of those too.