Do I need dock?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ellie, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Ellie

Ellie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have case coming today. Is there any reason why I will need dock with case? I assume you will be able to charge from case.

2. IpadOne

IpadOne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    But the case is not valid in vertical, can't charge and not sure will be stable ....

3. JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't have a Dock and don't plan to get one anytime soon.

4. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You can charge and dock with the power cable/usb cable that came with your iPad. You wont be able to dock your iPad into the dock with the case

hope that helps.

5. wot_fan

wot_fan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ellie, no you don't need a dock. It is really just a convenience. I use them (ordered 3) because I don't like messing with cables. When I need to charge or sync my iPad, I can easily set it in the dock one handed (taking it out unfortunately takes two hands). Also when I use my bluetooth keyboard, the dock acts as a stand.

Being able to see the screen and use the iPad as a digital picture frame while docked is an added plus. The dock also makes it easier to connect to your stereo since the audio cable can remain connected to the dock so you don't have to plug it in every time.

6. Greg G

Greg G
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    How stable is the iPad in the dock? I want to put one on my night table but I am afraid it will be too easy to knock over when I reach for my glasses or something. From the picture it looks quite small compared to the size of the iPad.

-Greg

#6 Greg G, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  7. brhon

brhon
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I want to be able to dock my Ipad with a cover on it. It would be nice to have a cover I can just leave on and mess around with changing for every time I want to dock or leave the house. The Apple cover is good for around the house but it does not work with my new Incase Travel kit.

8. dks

dks
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I ordered the dock... but now I got to thinking that I don't really 'need' a dock... but the comment about the stereo hookups is a good point so maybe I will keep it.

I really do wish there was a case that, like the apple case, allows for several viewing/typing angles & folds flat... but also has a cover with a secured closure & one that will fit on the charging dock without having to be removed... would be really nice.

9. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I ordered the dock simply for convenience either when I'm working on my desktop and/or syncing the ipad. Mostly to use it as a digital frame during family parties during the holidays. I was told by zagg that their new case will come in leather so I'll definitely get that one for the times I'm going to be mobile.

10. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    All that is needed for a dock is to go to any store that handles plate stands or picture frame stands and find one that works for you. It will be a lot cheaper than a factory made stand and you might find one that has better stability. It likely will only charge in the portrait position, but you can get one that will hold the iPad and case together.

I don't know of any iPad stand I would trust on my night table. The chaotic hand motion when I go to hit the snooze button, would destroy almost any electronics.