What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do apps have their own storage space ?

appleeater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hace both iStorage and Goodreader installed but the files downloaded by iStorage cannot be accessed by Goodreader and vice versa. Also, the films downloaded by Azul cannot be accessed by the other two.

It seems that each app has its own folder.
Is there a way (other than JB) to cross-access these folders by other apps ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The answer is both 'yes' and 'no'. It is true that each app has its own storage area. However you can access files from one storage area to another. So, for example, in GoodReader, if you have a Microsoft Word document and you 'touch' it you'll be offered the 'Open in' menu, which allows any compatible app that has registered its ability to process this type of document, to be suggested.

So, for example in the case above, if you have Apple Pages installed, when you touch the Microsoft Word document you'll be offered 'Open in Pages'. But Pages will make a local copy of that file, so - yes - each app has its own dedicated file storage area.

Tim
Scotland

OP
appleeater

appleeater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, this works.
Next question is, when I remove an app, will all associated files be deleted as well ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, this works.
Next question is, when I remove an app, will all associated files be deleted as well ?

Yes - those files that are locally associated will be deleted as well and the space reclaimed by the iPad iOS. However, if you opened that Word document from GoodReader in Pages and then deleted Pages, only the Pages 'copy' would be deleted - the original GoodReader document would be untouched.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts