What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disk Useage and file structure

Polo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have found lots of apps which give me total disk file useage and iTunes breaks it down by major categories of file, eg music apps, video, but what I really want to know is how much is taken up by individual apps and their data. How much space will I save if I delete a particular app and its data? I can't find anyway of finding out. As I am about to upgrade my iPad do I just keep buying the largest or can I cut back and buy something smaller? Most frustrating.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Polo - welcome to the forum! :)

You might want to provide some further information: 1) What iPad model do you own? 2) What is it's storage (i.e. 16, 32, or 64 GB)? 3) What do you store on the iPad and is your storage nearly depleted? and 4) Why do you want to upgrade to a newer model? Might help us in providing suggestions and advice.

Concerning storage, forget about dealing w/ 'file structure' on a non-JB iPad (maybe another question for you?). You can always go into Settings -> General -> About (and Usage) - the latter , i.e. Usage, will give you the 'storage' being used by your apps and their associated data. Looking forward to hearing from you - good luck!

OP
P

Polo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to get an iPhone and wanted to sort out the size I needed given that I did not want to duplicate everything I already had on the iPad. Have since trolled through the App Store to find out the size of the apps concerned. I will also be upgrading to an iPad mini sometime in the future and wanted to do the same automatically with some sort of app.

Presumably whilst Apple keeps the app "folders" hidden there must be some way that, for instance developers can see what is happening inside? All I'm looking for is a list of apps on the iPad and their sizes as installed, including data. Given the hundreds of thousands of app available, surely someone has written one to do this?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the size of apps installed on the iPad (and have iOS 6 or higher installed) - have a look at the Usage tab in your Settings app, under General. You will see the apps using the most data and at the bottom of the list is the option to show all apps. Then, if you tap on an app's line, another tab will open and you can see the memory used by the app itself and a separate line for the memory used in the app. Like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363697327.881163.jpg

And, in the AppStore itself, every app lists the memory allotment needed/taken for the app.

Hope that helps.

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In addition, app data is all over the map from person to person. No developer can tell you that if the app stores its own data.

OP
P

Polo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, that's just the info I need. Whenever I went to General / Usage I never waited long enough for the list of apps to come up. It takes a minute or two to appear. More haste less speed! Thanks again.

Most reactions

Latest posts