What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between wifi only and cellular model

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know we have covered this topic before but would like to know if the same differences still apply to the new 4 model. I was informed previously that the wifi only model does not have GPS which affects how you use the maps. I haven't used the cellular service in the last 6 months of having the iPad 3 and very much doubt I will use the facility now that the UK has 4G with free tethering. I have the iPhone 5. Would I be better off just purchasing the wifi only 64g?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know we have covered this topic before but would like to know if the same differences still apply to the new 4 model. I was informed previously that the wifi only model does not have GPS which affects how you use the maps. I haven't used the cellular service in the last 6 months of having the iPad 3 and very much doubt I will use the facility now that the UK has 4G with free tethering. I have the iPhone 5. Would I be better off just purchasing the wifi only 64g?

If you never plan to do Nav on your iPad, yes, just get the Wifi model. I have found that doing Nav on an iPad is better than doing it on a phone, but you have to figure out how to mount the iPad and it takes a lot more room. This forces most to just use the phone. Also, at least over here in the US, being able to turn on LTE when on a vacation is a nice feature rather than paying for hotel wifi (can be expensive in full service hotels). Over here, we can turn on cellular just for a brief time.

And yes, there are no other differences other than GPS and cellular between the two models.

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I think I'm going to go for the wifi only version as it does not make sense paying separately for 4G when I can tether.

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a unlimited data plan so i tether all the time its a lot better then been in a plan.if you are planning on doing a lot tethering on your data a plan i would suggest buying a external battery for you phone because tethering really eats your battery big time.This is my experience in the past when i have been tethering in the past 20 mins tethering will take about 20% off your battery roughly.
Here is what i would suggest to get if you are going to do a lot tethering to keep your phone topped up when you are tethering
Amazon.co.uk: new trent
any of the batteries would fit the bill just nice.Iam not sure how much tethering you are doing to do but believe me you wont get through a full day without charging your phone a least a couple of times up from empty to full again.

Most reactions

Latest posts