What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cellular issues with Ipad 4

Addrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I have an ipad 4 4G and my cellular function is completely disabled: on the top left corner it only says ipad and shows my wifi signal (it should say no sim), in the settings menu there is no cellular option, and in the about section of the settings i don't have the IMEI. Practically my ipad behaves like is only wifi (it has the sim tray and i have checked the serial on the web: it's 4G).
Also, i get the "An error occured during activation" message when i try to use imessage and facetime, but on my iphone I receive the message that this apps are now used on an ipad.
I have restored the device several times, even with a sim inserted and updated to ios 8.2 with no success. I have also called apple support, but they came with no good idea to resolve my issue, maybe someone here is better then them☺️.
Can anyone help me with advices on how to resolve this? Other then this, the ipad works flawless.
P.S my ipad doesn't have warranty so the services I have contacted offered only to replace it at absurd prices.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried a different SIM card to check if your current one is defective? It's also possible that the SIM card reader is defective. Do you live close enough to an Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment to have a diagnostic check done?

OP
A

Addrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried with different sims with the same result. The thing that bugs me is that I don't see the cellular options anywhere. If it were a hardware problem, I should have the option settings. This is why I think it may be an software issue.
I live in Romania and I have only authorised services and they said that being out of warranty, will only replace it at some absurd prices (more than it costs to buy another one)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you purchase the iPad through a carrier?

Maybe it is locked to the carrier and will only work with their SIM.

I am only guessing here. I have no idea if this is likely, or even possible in you country, or if these would be the symptoms .

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wouldn't you be able to tell from the model number if the iPad is carrier locked or not?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

OP
A

Addrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not locked. Plus, Ipad's are not locked by a carrier like the iphone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wouldn't you be able to tell from the model number if the iPad is carrier locked or not?

No. Locking has nothing to do with the model. It's something the carriers do. Now, some older iPads are limited to what carriers they can be on due to the radio frequencies and types (CDMA, GSM, LTE). That can be told by the model number.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not locked. Plus, Ipad's are not locked by a carrier like the iphone.

It is rare for cellular enabled iPads to be locked, even when sold by the carrier, but not unheard of. No way for me to know for sure, so I asked.

I'm afraid I have no other ideas for you to check. Sorry.

Most reactions

Latest posts