What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleting unused apps

MemphisMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an iPad Air and I am getting ready to pass my iPad 2 down to my son. I am looking to share my iTunes account with him when I do so.

There is a small problem. There are several apps that I do not want him seeing. I no longer use them, they have been superseded my better apps, etc.

How do I remove them from the "purchased" part of the app store?

Thanks!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just got an iPad Air and I am getting ready to pass my iPad 2 down to my son. I am looking to share my iTunes account with him when I do so.

There is a small problem. There are several apps that I do not want him seeing. I no longer use them, they have been superseded my better apps, etc.

How do I remove them from the "purchased" part of the app store?

Hello - my first suggestion is that you need to wipe the old iPad - see instructions HERE - then setup the iPad for your son - also check into Family Sharing (assuming both will be on iOS 8) - hope that this helps to get you started. Dave :)

OP
M

MemphisMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That won't do it. When I link our iTunes accounts, he will be able to see and download apps I have purchased, no matter if they are on the iPad or not. I don't want him seeing them. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That won't do it. When I link our iTunes accounts, he will be able to see and download apps I have purchased, no matter if they are on the iPad or not. I don't want him seeing them. :)

Well, did you really read the links throughly and carefully? Your first need to WIPE your old iPad, then none of your apps will be present - then if you want your son on your same Apple account, you need to figure out how to control what he puts on the old iPad - Family Sharing is an option - please read and understand before responding too quickly - Dave :)

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also set a restrictions password on the iPad and turn off Downloading Apps. This will prevent him from downloading any new apps, as long as you don't tell him the restrictions password. If he wants a particular app that you approve, you can turn on downloading apps, download the app and then turn off downloading apps again.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I seem to recall that there is a way of hiding the purchases within iTunes, but I regret that I can't remember where in the forum I saw it. Perhaps someone else can help ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to App Store - Purchased, tap the app you intend to hide and slide it to the left. At the right "Hide" will appear. Tap it to hide the app.

I suppose that will only work on the iPad where you perform this. Supposedly they will still be visible on the other iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can also hide apps in your purchased list in iTunes on your computer. If they're hidden this way they won't be visible to any of your iOS devices.

John903

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot delete them, you can only hide them - that will stop them showing in the Purchased links for redownloading.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go to App Store - Purchased, tap the app you intend to hide and slide it to the left. At the right "Hide" will appear. Tap it to hide the app.

I suppose that will only work on the iPad where you perform this. Supposedly they will still be visible on the other iPad.
COOL that you can hide apps. How do you un- hide them?

sobczak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to iTunes sync problem when trying to off load diagnostic and usage data. I have tried several procedures found on Internet and none works. Had to restore desktop and laptop after trying some of the so called solutions. Read where apple wants to do away with iTunes and incorporate it in iCloud; therefore they will not fix the sync problem with iTunes. When connecting iPad to use port on computer and going thru sync process get message saying "waiting for changes to be made." Never can get any info on what the changes are. Any idea on this would be appreciated. Apple support was contacted quite while back and I had to walk them thru the procedure before they understood what I was talking about but they were no help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to iTunes sync problem when trying to off load diagnostic and usage data. I have tried several procedures found on Internet and none works. Had to restore desktop and laptop after trying some of the so called solutions. Read where apple wants to do away with iTunes and incorporate it in iCloud; therefore they will not fix the sync problem with iTunes. When connecting iPad to use port on computer and going thru sync process get message saying "waiting for changes to be made." Never can get any info on what the changes are. Any idea on this would be appreciated. Apple support was contacted quite while back and I had to walk them thru the procedure before they understood what I was talking about but they were no help.

It's unlikely Apple will ever do away with iTunes. Where did you read about this? Please provide a link, if possible.

Most reactions

Latest posts