What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Delete uploaded photographs

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connect iPad to PC, start iTunes,

image-1244136099.jpg Should look something like this.

select your device...

image-71554160.jpg Should look something like this.

Select Photographs

image-4197831176.jpg Should look something like this.

Select Some Files,
A list of files will drop down with boxes to tick to select.

DO NOT SELECT ANYTHING

Then tap Sync in the bottom right corner.

The photographs that were uploaded will be deleted.

I tried doing this with Windows but could not locate the files in DCIM folder. It had a sub folder named 860OKMZO which contained my Camera Roll, plus 4 grayed out folders. It turns out these were where the downloads were located. These 'folders' still exist but only have 1.25 kbs each ?
I tried to go into more detail but ran into the ( after 6 lines of a new thread you can't see what you type ) app problem.

Last edited:
OP
Roy Rob

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is some more information I would have included in my first post...

When you import pictures from your PC to your iPad using iTunes, you will not be able to delete them in the native Photo App. I had imported four folders of pictures which I now wanted to delete but could find no information that worked, either in the iPad manual or doing various searches on this forum. All I could find out is that you have to use iTunes to do it. Some say they can be deleted using Windows by displaying the contents of your connected iPad, but when I tried that the imported pictures did not appear in my DCIM folder. A sub-folder was there 860OKMZO which when clicked displayed my Camera Roll and 4 'gray' 'folders'. The gray folders could not be opened, nor deleted. I managed to display the contents of one of these folders and there were files numbered F001.ipa or something similar which also couldn't be opened or deleted. I searched the web for an app to open these files and found one. The files were the pictures I wanted to delete.

I hope that this helps someone if all else fails.

Edit:
The folders listed in the four 'gray' folders were listed/numbered F001 to F056 and each contained 10 files each listed as T250.ithmb etc.

Last edited:
OP
Roy Rob

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Nice summary.

The info you couldn't find is here: iOS and iPod: Syncing photos using iTunes

It's a bit dated, since it shows iTunes 10. The general instructions are sound enough.

Thanks twerppoet, it's such a complicated area and quite difficult to grasp. It seems that I stumbled upon a usable solution. The grey folders still remain when I look at my iPad with iTunes, but as I have said it's not a big deal because they are using very little memory. The other discovery was that, on Box, the iPod cache was still present but deleting was no problem from within the Box app.

I wonder if I made things worse by not updating to the latest iTunes but after iOS 6.0.1 I am a little cautious of updates.

OP
Roy Rob

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I haven't had any problems with iTunes 11. It takes a little getting used to, but all the same stuff is there. Won't hurt to wait a bit longer for a few bug squasher updates if you're feeling cautious.

I've got to wonder what your iPod cache was doing on Box. Or perhaps you're talking about something else.

iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

I was surprised as well. On my PC I had two photo folders, Pictures and My Pictures. Both had sub folders, all files were JPEGS. I uploaded both to Box which took some time for 720 Mb. Once done is when I decided to clean up my iPad because I now had access to all my pictures. I was reviewing the photos on Box and there it was.... iPod cache, that's where I confirmed the file names and file extensions in this folder. It seemed that this folder was a duplicate of the uploaded files to my iPad, judging by the space used on the Box total. (976 Mb) then when iPod cache deleted back down to 720 Mb. Beats me but I'm sure it doesn't beat you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You must have drug it there when you moved the files to your Box syncing folder on the computer. Assuming you are syncing a computer folder with Box and not actually copying files to Box manually.

That, or your computer has been preempted by SkyNet, and is gathering data on how to eliminate humans.

Most reactions

Latest posts