What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Photos onto the iPad?

parky_dw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any suggestions as to the best way to do this? Seems a nice way to take and show photos to others and after yesterday's unhappy experience (see on) I'm sure there's a better way.....
Note: I'm not really an iTunes user. I very rarely connect the iPad to my PC.

I have ~60GBs of photos on my my PC stored in a hierarchical directory system. I wanted to put a couple of folders onto the iPad. After Google search I...
1. Connected my iPad to the PC. Waited while iTunes started up and went through the 'backup/syncing' stage.
2. Selected my device and clicked on the "photos" tab.
3. Ticked the "Sync Photos from" box and navigated to one of the folders of photos I wanted to sync.
4. Clicked on the "apply" button and watched while it proceeded to add the photos and delete a lot of my installed applications.
5. Swore.
6. Did a "restore from backup" which restored a couple of the deleted applications but not all that were there - and took 20 minutes to do it.
7. Went to the App store and re-installed everything that was there previously.
8. Copied photos to a 2GB USB stick under a directory "dcim" and plugged into the iPad using the USB adaptor only to be told that the device drew too much current.
9. Repeated the above with a 256MB USB stick with more success - but only to be told that there were no photographs on there.
10. Renamed "dcim" to "DCIM" and the underlying subdirectory to "145OLYMP".
11. All photos could then be imported.

Subsequently I found that if I selected the root of my photo store I can then select subfolders - but only 1 level down! - useless when what I want is in Diving/Weybourne/Rosalie/2011 - not the entire Diving folder.

Currently it looks like I'll need to create another photo collection and copy over to it those photos I want on the iPad (wasted duplication in my view) ....unless you know different?

And why did it decide to delete a lot of my installed Apps having just apparently Synced? I thought I'd only asked it to add some Photos.

Parrori1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I transfer mine through the photo bucket app. You can upload and download all you want.

MAcsure

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any suggestions as to the best way to do this? Seems a nice way to take and show photos to others and after yesterday's unhappy experience (see on) I'm sure there's a better way.....
Note: I'm not really an iTunes user. I very rarely connect the iPad to my PC.

I have ~60GBs of photos on my my PC stored in a hierarchical directory system. I wanted to put a couple of folders onto the iPad. After Google search I...
1. Connected my iPad to the PC. Waited while iTunes started up and went through the 'backup/syncing' stage.
2. Selected my device and clicked on the "photos" tab.
3. Ticked the "Sync Photos from" box and navigated to one of the folders of photos I wanted to sync.
4. Clicked on the "apply" button and watched while it proceeded to add the photos and delete a lot of my installed applications.
5. Swore.
6. Did a "restore from backup" which restored a couple of the deleted applications but not all that were there - and took 20 minutes to do it.
7. Went to the App store and re-installed everything that was there previously.
8. Copied photos to a 2GB USB stick under a directory "dcim" and plugged into the iPad using the USB adaptor only to be told that the device drew too much current.
9. Repeated the above with a 256MB USB stick with more success - but only to be told that there were no photographs on there.
10. Renamed "dcim" to "DCIM" and the underlying subdirectory to "145OLYMP".
11. All photos could then be imported.

Subsequently I found that if I selected the root of my photo store I can then select subfolders - but only 1 level down! - useless when what I want is in Diving/Weybourne/Rosalie/2011 - not the entire Diving folder.

Currently it looks like I'll need to create another photo collection and copy over to it those photos I want on the iPad (wasted duplication in my view) ....unless you know different?

And why did it decide to delete a lot of my installed Apps having just apparently Synced? I thought I'd only asked it to add some Photos.

Seems alot of hard work for nothing... ;)
For me itunes does it all baby!!, Yeah I know you are one of those who dont wanna be told how to do things... I too wa slike that, I cant be stuff now lol, Having said that, there many ways of transfering data to and from ipad without the using itunes. Google is a great freind:)

Most reactions

Latest posts