What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Decreased battery life on iOS6

Sleaka J

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like many of you here are aware, there are some people that have complained about a few technical issues with iOS6 (forget about YouTube and Maps). Mainly slow WiFi and a decreased battery life.

I was an early adopter of iOS6 and the first thing I noticed was a faster draining battery. But I kept using it and gumbled about "hopefully they'll fix it in 6.01 or something".

I fully charged my iPad 3 days ago, used it as I normally would from then to now and let it get to 1%. Now that it's been a couple of weeks on iOS6, I thought I'd check the "Time since last full charge" stat to see how bad it really is:

14 hours 5 mins. HUH? I haven't plugged it into power since I last fully charged it. I've used my iPad more since iOS6 came out, but that couldn't be it... could it?

I'm sure many of those complaining (not all) about decreased battery life probably don't actually get decreased battery life, but only think they do. It's like hypochondriacs. 1 person gets ill and suddenly everyone around them "thinks" they have symptoms. And on the internet it's no different. This might have all started with the reported battery issues on iOS5 and just flourished from there.

So I suggest to everyone who has noticed decreased battery life on their iOS6 device to charge their device fully, use it normally and let it discharge to 1% and check their "Time since last full charge" stat. Don't just say you noticed it, actually check it. You might be surprised like I was.

From a happy (now I am) iOS6 user.

Edit: As an experiment, now 5 days later I've done the same thing (full charge and used normally) and I got 14 hours 19mins.

Last edited:

ChristianaR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sleaka J said:
Like many of you here are aware, there are some people that have complained about a few technical issues with iOS6 (forget about YouTube and Maps). Mainly slow WiFi and a decreased battery life.

I was an early adopter of iOS6 and the first thing I noticed was a faster draining battery. But I kept using it and gumbled about "hopefully they'll fix it in 6.01 or something".

I fully charged my iPad 3 days ago, used it as I normally would from then to now and let it get to 1%. Now that it's been a couple of weeks on iOS6, I thought I'd check the "Time since last full charge" stat to see how bad it really is:

14 hours 5 mins. HUH? I haven't plugged it into power since I last fully charged it. I've used my iPad more since iOS6 came out, but that couldn't be it... could it?

I'm sure many of those complaining (not all) about decreased battery life probably don't actually get decreased battery life, but only think they do. It's like hypochondriacs. 1 person gets ill and suddenly everyone around them "thinks" they have symptoms. And on the internet it's no different. This might have all started with the reported battery issues on iOS5 and just flourished from there.

So I suggest to everyone who has noticed decreased battery life on their iOS6 device to charge their device fully, use it normally and let it discharge to 1% and check their "Time since last full charge" stat. Don't just say you noticed it, actually check it. You might be surprised like I was.

From a happy (now I am) iOS6 user.

Tough allegations there, SleakaJ. Whilst I agree that some jump on a bandwagon, I'd prefer to think more optimistically and presume that if someone complains that they may have a point. But let's just focus on productive help.
I like your suggestion of letting the battery run right down - it's a good idea to try. Another thing I have found (as with other upgrades), the settings that I prefer get reset each time. I noticed a significant decrease in battery life when I upgraded to ios6... Significant. From several days usage, to not even one. After a week or so, I sifted through all my settings and found that a whole bunch had changed - in particular, Notifications and Location Services. After readjusting these back to how I like, I'm now back to normal with battery life.
I too, am now a happy ios6 user.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tough allegations there, SleakaJ. Whilst I agree that some jump on a bandwagon, I'd prefer to think more optimistically and presume that if someone complains that they may have a point. ...

You've never been a member of any kind of technology support profession have you ;-)
but I do get the gist of what you are saying - It's been a while but I remember even when users would come up to me with issues that I know could not possibly be the way they describe it, I would get out my friendly face, and go through their problem in all seriousness until we reached a happy conclusion together. I hated it, but it taught me a lot.

Generally, people complain for a reason, even if the reason is not the complaint that they are voicing.

Nikhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ios6 is cool well the maps are the only part where I would rate it low. But they say there is no YouTube cant you use safari and I don't find any difference in the wifi it's the same ios6 is full of fun in iPad 3 nd 4 well for ipd 2 I will rate it 6/10 as there are more number of complains then the features you don't have Siri and all other stuff but now as an iOS 6 user I'm happy

NoDaysOff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea! Seriously. the battery life is terrible on my iphone, I haven't upgraded to ios 6 because of how much i didn't like the new changes. The original google maps is even better. It was perfect!

Most reactions

Latest posts