What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery life after updating to ios5

littlesue73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after updating to iOS5 on my ipad 2 I have found that my battery life is fantastic and lasting even longer then before. Has anyone else found this. I have been watching tv on it playing games on browsing the Internet etc since 7pm when it was fully charged and it's now 01.03am and I still have 75% battery life so that's 6 hours of usage and still loads of battery life left. How is every else finding there battery life since the update. I am very pleased so far.

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
littlesue73 said:
Well after updating to iOS5 on my ipad 2 I have found that my battery life is fantastic and lasting even longer then before. Has anyone else found this. I have been watching tv on it playing games on browsing the Internet etc since 7pm when it was fully charged and it's now 01.03am and I still have 75% battery life so that's 6 hours of usage and still loads of battery life left. How is every else finding there battery life since the update. I am very pleased so far.

Mine seems to have improved too. Was good before. Haven't used iPad much since Wed., but will run it tonight and see how it goes, Sue.

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
littlesue73 said:

I find battery life to be largely subjective due to the fact that it can be drained more or less by various apps or if you use apps that are constantly pinging for location. Some days I get well over 10 hours. Other days I barely get through the day without having to throw it on the charger.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drover said:
Mine seems to have improved too. Was good before. Haven't used iPad much since Wed., but will run it tonight and see how it goes, Sue.

I was told at Apple Store in Liverpool that there would be a considerable improvement in the life of the battery. My iPad has been on with moderate use for over six hours and is at 96% Quite incredible. How can this be? Gonna watch some video and then leave on TV mode 'till morning rise time...5 hours from now.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
drover said:
I was told at Apple Store in Liverpool that there would be a considerable improvement in the life of the battery. My iPad has been on with moderate use for over six hours and is at 96% Quite incredible. How can this be? Gonna watch some video and then leave on TV mode 'till morning rise time...5 hours from now.

Six hours and only used 4%!?!?!??! That doesn't seem possible. Maybe it needs to be calibrated? My battery life definitely seems better, but not THAT good!

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery life

Six hours and only used 4%!?!?!??! That doesn't seem possible. Maybe it needs to be calibrated? My battery life definitely seems better, but not THAT good!

I know. Calibration fine! Too tird to watch TV or Video last night. iPad on standby for further 6 hours and now at 90% About to watch video.....time will tell !!!!

TheX

iPF Novice
Reaction score
drover said:
I know. Calibration fine! Too tird to watch TV or Video last night. iPad on standby for further 6 hours and now at 90% About to watch video.....time will tell !!!!

Just so you know the iPad has a reported standby time or sleep time. That is having the iPad do nothing and be in sleep mode not plugged for about a month. So no it does not surprise me that you only used 4% of your battery while you sleeper over night.

What you need to do is play a game like tiger woods golf (which I think you can get free right now) and see what your battery life is then. You should see that it drains it pretty fast.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TheX said:
Just so you know the iPad has a reported standby time or sleep time. That is having the iPad do nothing and be in sleep mode not plugged for about a month. So no it does not surprise me that you only used 4% of your battery while you sleeper over night.

What you need to do is play a game like tiger woods golf (which I think you can get free right now) and see what your battery life is then. You should see that it drains it pretty fast.

See the earlier post though, he was using it for several hours and was still at 96%!

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted about this a few days ago, because yes, my battery life has greatly improved. It ran for about six hours after the upgrade, and dropped from only slightly from 100%. Then it was in sleep mode over night, and was in constant use from the early morning until bed time... It ended the day on 23%... Approximately 22 hours! Not all me, I hasten to add, but my kids as well, gaming, music, YouTube... I couldn't believe it!

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Milliebert said:
I posted about this a few days ago, because yes, my battery life has greatly improved. It ran for about six hours after the upgrade, and dropped from only slightly from 100%. Then it was in sleep mode over night, and was in constant use from the early morning until bed time... It ended the day on 23%... Approximately 22 hours! Not all me, I hasten to add, but my kids as well, gaming, music, YouTube... I couldn't believe it!

Wow, that is really great. Curious if you have any notifications set and anything else that is running in the background.

stevnim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started a Battery poll in the iPF's Poll section to help quantify this data. My battery, incidentally, seems to be better after the upgrade.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is about the same. I can usually do the max worth of stuff, movies, videos, games, surfing for bout two days before I hit 20% code red.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Facebook, @me.com, gmail, Ipadforums, and Newstand at the moment for notifications, oh and Twiiter.

Usually when I check open apps there are fifteen to twenty I need to close down.

I don't use the camera though.

It's been on since 8 this morning... Watched the rugby, apart from that been browsing and got the notifications on, played a bit of solitaire and the kids had it for a couple of hours to play Fruit Ninja, and it's gone from 100 to currently 91.

Edited to add, I use the ITV RWC app for the rugby.

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, that is really great. Curious if you have any notifications set and anything else that is running in the background.
We

Well folks, I ran my tests and have proved to myself that the Apple 'boasts ' are something....it's called the truth! Watched BBC news this morning for 2 hours, Facebook for the same, left on standby for a hour or so. Kids played GarageBand for a while, I checked emails....lots of them. Played a couple of games, have been on here for a while. At 10am I switched on with 93% and now have 51% at 5pm London time. I make that 7 hours. Easy arithmetic - new OS about 14 hours play time! I do make sure brightness is as low as comfortable which also saves the mince pies (eyes to US cousins!). Rather play golf that golf games but will give it a try! Have a few notifications but not too many. I also follow Apple's advice on usage and running battery low regularly. Regards, Frank.

Most reactions