Csv file

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by reugenep, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Dakota Drummer2

Dakota Drummer2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I think you have some good suggestions. My "share icon" in Safari is just to the left of the address line. When I select this option none of my apps show up as possibilities. Is that it talks about sharing via email Facebook messaging etc. I do know what you talking about regarding the "open in" icon in the upper right-hand corner. Unfortunately, this "open in" option does not show up when I am on this screen, maybe because it is a web page and not an actual document?

Thanks.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I (finally) took the time to check things out personally.

Here is what tapping in the center of a document that opened in Safari's Quick Look mode should look like:
    image-2219154615.jpg
    If you can't get this by tapping on the document, then you are not in Quick Look view, or you do not have any apps that iOS recognizes as compatible. Hold in mind that doesn't mean they aren't compatible, just that they did not register with iOS for that file type.

This (on the other hand) is what I was describing.
    image-1267549425.jpg
    It's what you see when you have a document open in Mail's Quick Look mode, and tap in the center. Sorry for the confusion. The share icon and Open In button do pretty much the same thing. The Open in Numbers shows the default app (what iOS thinks you're most likely to want to use). Since Numbers is Apples' spreadsheet app, they might be a bit biased on that one.

The share icon you see next to the URL field is only for sharing the website (URL) info, and other tasks like bookmarking and the reading list. It's a very common icon. In my experience it is either called the share or task icon. Whenever you want to share or copy something, it's the first thing you look for. However, it's not always the right place for some tasks; as in this case.

#12 twerppoet, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. Dakota Drummer2

Dakota Drummer2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks so much for all of your help in researching this. With your description above, I'm concluding that I am not actually in quick look view.

The only other thing that I'm wondering is whether or not there is any way to copy and paste the CSV content from the web page into a spreadsheet. I have tried to do this but it copies and pastes the CSV document into a single cell in the spreadsheet.

Thanks again for your help.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Well, I know some ways I might try, but without knowing (and having for testing) the tools and apps you have available, I can only offer some general guidance.

You'll want to copy and paste the text into a text editing app. One that lets you save the file as a .txt file. Then you'll need an app that you can rename the file with, changing the file type to .csv, and lets you use Open In to copy the file to your spreadsheet app. Once you have it as a table in that app you should be able to copy an paste the information from one document to the other.

I'd probably use GoodReader for this. Its text editor is extremely basic, but it allows you to both rename a file and use Open In to copy it to other apps.

Hold in mind that in order for this to work you need to be seeing/copying text that is formatted more or less like this:

Each line is a row of data, with each cell's content separated by a coma.

If you are not in Quick Look and actually seen table formatting like in my screenshots then you are probably seeing an HTML table. This will not copy and paste as a csv delimited file. There are tools that will take HTML tables and turn them into csv documents, but I'm not aware of any for the iPad. Even for the computer I'd have to do some searching, as it's not something I've had any call to try. At least not recently.

If the file is not overly long, you can add the necessary commas and line breaks manually; but I"m guessing if it was that short you'd have given up and entered it manually in the spreadsheet by now.

5. Dakota Drummer2

Dakota Drummer2
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You nailed it!
    Now I can do my Cub Scout awards and reporting all from my ipad!
    Thanks for sticking with me on this one! I really really appreciate it: thank you.
    How do I "like" your posts on the app?

#15 Dakota Drummer2, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    No problem. I'm glad we finally found something that will work for you.

7. Lorna Perks

Lorna Perks
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I have moved from MacBook Pro to iPad Pro and I am having the same issues with CSV files. I have invested in GoodReader this evening so I am hoping to sort out this issue. I cannot download csv files from Virgin Money Giving (I work for a charity and I need to download the donations information). I can’t seem to find the open in option on my ipad. Also used GoodReader’s browser with my virgin login and it won’t let me click on any links. Says its not supported. Sorry for you to keep repeating the above, but I just can’t work it out. Look forward to hearing from you. Lorna

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    You should get an option to Download a file when you tap and hold on the file’s link. Once the download starts a download icon will appear at the top right (a circle with an down arrow in the center). Tap on it to see download progress, or clear downloads.

FBF2A080-7DB1-485D-AD70-132A4332AF0B.jpeg

97119291-E128-4DA4-BAB7-2EBCF18478A7.jpeg

The Download itself will be saved in the Files app under iCloud Drive / Downloads.

If you just tap on the file, or tap on the file in the Downloads list, it should open up in a tab; either a preview or just place holder icon in the center of the screen. At that point you can choose the Share Sheet icon (box with up arrow) and the Save File option to save the file in the Files app. Or you can copy/open it in another app.

BFE9D802-57AA-44DC-AB0F-96DBE311E570.jpeg

Note: My Save File option is at the top, because I pined it there. I use the optoin a lot and got tired of scrolling down the menu to find it.