Copying to a second computer

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Beerman, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Beerman

Beerman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I want to copy all the data on my ipad 2 to another computer (not on the network) and I know how to transfer items purchased from Apple but what about all my other stuff?
    What I really want to do is make an exact duplicate on another computer so that I can sync to either whenever I want to. What's the best process for doing this?
    Thanks

2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,052 / 0
    The iPad and iTunes are not designed to do this. You can only sync to one computer at a time - as in, you can only have one primary computer for iTunes.

You can duplicate, but the act of moving the synchronization back and forth opens up the possibility of losing any/all data. Usually, people only use a second computer after the first one has died - and then it's a risk to see if all the "stuff" gets moved to the new computer without messing up the iPad settings.

Sorry, but that's the way Apple has designed it - one primary computer per iPad.

Marilyn

3. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    Not exactly what you want but you might consider Dropbox. With it you can install on a variety of devices and computers and access anything you want to view or work on from any of them once uploaded to Dropbox. I move photos, docs, xls, etc from Ipad to PC and vice versa, access from Touch or laptop. Not all apps have Dropbox integrated--that's up to the developer, but all the apps I use--like Goodreader, Office HD, and many more. Just a thought. Box.net works the same but Dropbox has twice as much free storage space and the app is free.

Diane B

4. Beerman

Beerman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the ideas.
    I do have Dropbox but my ipad is full and Dropbox isn't quite big enough.
    What I ended up doing is paying $20 for CopyTrans and it copied everything from my ipad to another computer pretty darn fast. They also offer iClone but it's not for ipads (yet anyway).
    I'm pleased with what I can do but of course, I can't sync 2 at the same time but at least I can have identical versions on 2 machines.