What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copying to a second computer

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I want to copy all the data on my ipad 2 to another computer (not on the network) and I know how to transfer items purchased from Apple but what about all my other stuff?
What I really want to do is make an exact duplicate on another computer so that I can sync to either whenever I want to. What's the best process for doing this?
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad and iTunes are not designed to do this. You can only sync to one computer at a time - as in, you can only have one primary computer for iTunes.

You can duplicate, but the act of moving the synchronization back and forth opens up the possibility of losing any/all data. Usually, people only use a second computer after the first one has died - and then it's a risk to see if all the "stuff" gets moved to the new computer without messing up the iPad settings.

Sorry, but that's the way Apple has designed it - one primary computer per iPad.

Marilyn

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not exactly what you want but you might consider Dropbox. With it you can install on a variety of devices and computers and access anything you want to view or work on from any of them once uploaded to Dropbox. I move photos, docs, xls, etc from Ipad to PC and vice versa, access from Touch or laptop. Not all apps have Dropbox integrated--that's up to the developer, but all the apps I use--like Goodreader, Office HD, and many more. Just a thought. Box.net works the same but Dropbox has twice as much free storage space and the app is free.

Diane B

OP
Beerman

Beerman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas.
I do have Dropbox but my ipad is full and Dropbox isn't quite big enough.
What I ended up doing is paying $20 for CopyTrans and it copied everything from my ipad to another computer pretty darn fast. They also offer iClone but it's not for ipads (yet anyway).
I'm pleased with what I can do but of course, I can't sync 2 at the same time but at least I can have identical versions on 2 machines.

Most reactions

Latest posts