What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copying Itunes to Macbook Pro

liamsutton6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking at the MacBook Pro at the moment just a question I already have a Vaio Laptop on XP and have ITunes backed up on external hard drive someone said that the mac will not recognise iTunes because I worked it with a Windows PC so I will not be able to transfer my music onto the Mac I don't think that sounds right ? Cheers

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the Macbook Pro export it's library into a file other than .xml?

I do both but have never paid attention to it. I primarily use my iTunes on my PC, but will be transferring the library over to the Macbook.

Thought it would be as easy as exporting and then importing..

Off to Google.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
liamsutton6 said:
Hey guys I'm looking at the MacBook Pro at the moment just a question I already have a Vaio Laptop on XP and have ITunes backed up on external hard drive someone said that the mac will not recognise iTunes because I worked it with a Windows PC so I will not be able to transfer my music onto the Mac I don't think that sounds right ? Cheers

iTunes will not run iTunes.exe which is the windows version of program. The easiest way for you to do it is if you bought all your music and videos on iTunes then when you sync with the Mac, it should transfer purchases. But if not, copy the music from the external hdd and as soon as you click on iTunes on the Mac hold the shift key or the command key or control key, I don't remember which one for Mac, and it will ask you for the iTunes library database. It should be on the vaio and it should be called like iTunes.dll or something. Look for a file that looks weird, and that should be it. Of course when it opens iTunes, it wont know where all the music is so you will have to just hit file and add folder to library and select the folder with your music in it.

Reaction score
Why don't you just import the whole folder into iTunes?

Just set iTunes Preferences to 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library', then go to File->Add folder to library and select the folder on your external harddrive.

If you want to keep the playlist, use File->Library->Export, copy the music.txt to your mac and import the same way.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Why don't you just import the whole folder into iTunes?

Just set iTunes Preferences to 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library', then go to File->Add folder to library and select the folder on your external harddrive.

totally didn't think about that.

OP
liamsutton6

liamsutton6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys I just have the all the music folders like example bob Dylan - abba etc I think I should be okay with just the folders just drag them over

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
liamsutton6 said:
Thanks guys I just have the all the music folders like example bob Dylan - abba etc I think I should be okay with just the folders just drag them over

Drag and drop, even easier.

Most reactions

Latest posts