What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contacts - why is it so difficult?

Svbbcoach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't believe that what I am looking to do is virtually impossible. I have had an iPhone and have all my contacts intact there. I would like to get my email contacts on my iPad2. I do not need phone numbers as I use my phone for that. I have a PC like 90% of the world and just want to get my email contacts to my iPad. I use Google and Yahoo (not Outlook). It seems like this should be easy and common sense but???? Any help would be appreciated.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Svbbcoach said:
I can't believe that what I am looking to do is virtually impossible. I have had an iPhone and have all my contacts intact there. I would like to get my email contacts on my iPad2. I do not need phone numbers as I use my phone for that. I have a PC like 90% of the world and just want to get my email contacts to my iPad. I use Google and Yahoo (not Outlook). It seems like this should be easy and common sense but???? Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to our family!

I use googlemail to synch my contacts but I'm sure someone will be with you shortly to help.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But if your iPhone is sync'd to your PC using iTunes, can't you simply transfer the email addresses by a sync operation there as well? I wasn't quite clear whether the real issue was being able to transfer the contacts or whether the real issue was transferring the contacts, but without the telephone numbers.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your question

Tim

OP
S

Svbbcoach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
But if your iPhone is sync'd to your PC using iTunes, can't you simply transfer the email addresses by a sync operation there as well? I wasn't quite clear whether the real issue was being able to transfer the contacts or whether the real issue was transferring the contacts, but without the telephone numbers.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your question

Tim

Since I posted, I read the intro and I will be more descriptive. My iPad2 is stock. I have jail broken my phone a couple times but now is stock 4.3.2 Since I bought the iPad I wanted less possible conflicts until I get everything working the way I want it. With the phone originally I used an outside program MobiWi (I think, almost 2 years ago) to get my old phone contacts to the iPhone. On the phone I set up my Google email as an exchange account so that is why I believe that I have all my email contacts on the phone. However syncing seems to have combined all my phone numbers and emails together which is good for the phone. Now with the iPad, I need a separate set of numbers for FaceTime, whistle and text plus numbers that I do not want synced with the phone. I only want email contacts from my google/yahoo accounts. I will settle for editing my phone contacts but have yet to find a way to get them to my iPad. Is there a way that I can import a csv file? That seems to be the obvious solution but I have had no luck in my research so far. Thanks

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
If your contacts are in Google, then just creating a Google account on your iPad will not connect to your contact list from Google. But it does on the iPhone... Pretty strange. Anyway, I figured out a way to have my Google contacts by creating a second mail account using Exchange with the server being m.google.com. Then only select the contacts and deselect mails and calendar on the exchange account since you already have those in a Google account.

As for contacts management, you should put everything in Google so you would not have to sync at all since your source would be Google (for iPhone, iPad and PC)

This will avoid duplication or loss when sync goes wrong...

VicoPad addict!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
If your contacts are in Google, then just creating a Google account on your iPad will not connect to your contact list from Google. But it does on the iPhone... Pretty strange. Anyway, I figured out a way to have my Google contacts by creating a second mail account using Exchange with the server being m.google.com. Then only select the contacts and deselect mails and calendar on the exchange account since you already have those in a Google account.

As for contacts management, you should put everything in Google so you would not have to sync at all since your source would be Google (for iPhone, iPad and PC)

VicoPad addict!

Yes, this is what I do!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
DrHouse said:

VicoPad addict!

I don't understand the need for the second account? Why not just do the same with the original account?

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
DefBref said:
I don't understand the need for the second account? Why not just do the same with the original account?

Accounts on your iPad, both using the same account on Google. As said, the Google account in the iPad does not support contacts, so you need to add an exchange account that will connect on your Google account just for the contacts.

A bit confusing all those accounts ;). So you will end up with two configured accounts on your iPad, both connecting to Google. This will give you all your mails, calendar, contacts and notes

VicoPad addict!

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
But can't you do everything with just the exchange account on the iPad?

Agreed! Dr House should just use the exchange setting for everything and just drop the google one. And the iPad and iPhone settings work exactly the same.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
GlenL said:
Agreed! Dr House should just use the exchange setting for everything and just drop the google one. And the iPad and iPhone settings work exactly the same.

Yeah, I know, but I wanted notes also which is not in the exchange account. Also, just wanted to be sure of compatibilities as for mails and calendar. But that's just me being superstitious ;)

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions

Latest posts