What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Contacts and accounts

bauernfeind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
bhivetravels.yolasite.com
I've been a Mac user since 97. My original account has a .mac address and although it has been added to over the years (.me and .cloud) it has been my understanding that it is all the same account. However, when logged on to my iCloud account anywhere other than my iPad or iPhone there is one contacts listing, then on my iPad or iPhone a different list. I've turned on and off the contacts sync bar in settings several time to no avail. Is the problem the fact that I have multiple accounts under .mac, .me, .cloud? If so how do I eliminate all but the most current?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My .mac, .me, an .icloud accounts are all the same.

However, it is/was possible to create an iCloud account that is not associated with your original accounts. If I were you I'd contact iTunes support and ask. They should be able to determine if the accounts are properly associated, or not. I don't know if they will be able to do anything about it. Apple does not (or can not) merge accounts. Though there has been a rumor that they are working on it. The rumor is more than a year old, so take it with a huge lump of salt.

Given the nature of your account, it may be an exception, or if nothing else they can suggest your best options to move forward.

I'm aware of the account merger problem because I've been a Mac user a little longer than you. As a result I had an iTunes account before the advent of the .mac address. And I managed to accidentally end up with two accounts during the transition. Eventually I just abandoned the few songs I'd purchased under the old account rather than continue to try and keep both up to date.

I'm sure that old account is still out there, waiting patiently for me to log into iTunes with it once more. I almost feel sorry for it. ;)

Last edited:
OP
bauernfeind

bauernfeind

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
bhivetravels.yolasite.com
Thanks -- I've contacted iTunes support. Let see what they have to say ... I'm sure I'll just have to either live with it or look for an alternative to the Contacts app that will merge different accounts.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your iCloud synced contacts can be exported to a vCard file via icloud.com in a computer browse. You could then import the file (same method) to your new/old iCloud account. No need to maintain separate accounts and try to merge them both in the contacts app; though that is possible. The Contacts app can sync with more than one account at a time, and you can view the combined accounts via the View All option.

You can do pretty much the same thing with GMail accounts.

Most reactions

Latest posts