What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing default contact account

louise watson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Just bought my first apple product, iPad mini, having a few teething troubles but otherwise am loving it!

My problem is that under settings, mail contacts calendar, then under the contacts section, it is showing my hotmail account so it's pulling all my contacts from that. I want to change this to my gmail account as I haven't used hotmail for years! But it only gives me the option to change to iCloud.

How can I delete hotmail and add gmail as my default contacts list??

Thanks
Louise

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just bought my first apple product, iPad mini, having a few teething troubles but otherwise am loving it!

My problem is that under settings, mail contacts calendar, then under the contacts section, it is showing my hotmail account so it's pulling all my contacts from that. I want to change this to my gmail account as I haven't used hotmail for years! But it only gives me the option to change to iCloud.

How can I delete hotmail and add gmail as my default contacts list??

Thanks
Louise

Hi, welcome to iPF!

You could set up Google mail in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars.

If you only want to have your contacts set up there, do it this way:

Open the Settings application on your device.
Go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
Choose Add Account...
Select Other
Now choose Add CardDAV Account

Fill out your account information in the following fields:
Server: Enter "google.com"
User Name: Enter your full Google Account email address.
Password: Google Account password. (If you’ve enabled 2 Step verification, you’ll need to generate and enter an application specific password.)
Description: Enter a description of the account (e.g. Personal Contacts).

Tap Next at the top of your screen.
Make sure that the "Contacts" option is turned to ON.

That done, you have the possibility to choose your Google contacts as default contacts.
It will look this way after setup:

image-547283080.jpg

And you should have one more possibility in your default contacts list to choose:

image-985262998.jpg

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPad forums Louise, the largest and best iPad forum anywhere, with over 297,000 members worldwide. Many of our membership volunteer their time to help their fellow members with answers to their questions and solutions to their problems. If a search of the forums doesn't provide the answer you need, don't hesitate to post your question in the appropriate forum. We also have this tutorial to help you get full use from the iPad forums app. http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html We ask that all members take the time to review the Forum rules before posting.

OP
L

louise watson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A.

I can see why you are a super guru - your instructions worked perfectly!! I would never have worked that out not in a month of Sunday's......

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards
Louise

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
J.A.

I can see why you are a super guru - your instructions worked perfectly!! I would never have worked that out not in a month of Sunday's......

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards
Louise

I found this some time ago and use it myself.
Glad it helped you as well!

Most reactions