What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connect to thumb drive

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Beards - well, on the first page of this thread, you commented on a post of mine concerning the CCK in which I suggested that it could not be used like a 'thumb drive' - concerning importing images via this connection and as you've discovered, the process is confusing and maybe not possible - there has been much discussion here last year, e.g. take a look HERE and check my post (#4) and the link given - you've just experienced the pain that we have all felt for a while concerning this issue - if you find an easy solution, please let us know - Dave :)
Yes Dave, I had to find out for myself what the restrictions were....
I had previously read the comments of that topic cheers and also the link you gave to another forum in that topic so although aware of the problem did not think for one second the problem would be so errr problematic!
I'm in communication with another guy on a different forum who bought the very same CCK and we will be putting our heads together. If (yes it's a big if I know) there is light at the end of the tunnel I'll most certainly pass it back on.

All the Best - Beards :)

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Beards - well, on the first page of this thread, you commented on a post of mine concerning the CCK in which I suggested that it could not be used like a 'thumb drive' - concerning importing images via this connection and as you've discovered, the process is confusing and maybe not possible - there has been much discussion here last year, e.g. take a look HERE and check my post (#4) and the link given - you've just experienced the pain that we have all felt for a while concerning this issue - if you find an easy solution, please let us know - Dave :)

Dave,
Having discussed this at great length with a friend on a different forum we now have an answer on the Camera Connection Kit...... :-

To copy photos from a Laptop to the iPad using the CCK:-
1. Rename any photos you have with an 8 digit filename ~ Home0001 or Famly001.
2. Insert an SD Card/USB Stick into your PC/Laptop and create a folder at the root of the device naming it DCIM.
3. Copy renamed files to said Card/USB stick, remove from PC/Laptop then insert into the CCK.
4. Insert CCK into the base of the iPad and load the Photos App. This will then read the contents of any photos you have added using the 8 digit method.

This is not the fault of the CCK but iOS's limitation in only accepting 8 character filenames.
The same procedure will also work on video files as well. However if you transfer BOTH photos and videos at the same time the videos are not accepted. Strongly believed to be an issue with sizes where the video file is much greater than the photos.
Send the videos over separately however and no problem, they transfer fine to the Photos App using the CCK.
One final note ~ If you are going to do this in batches you need to completely close down the Photos App first prior to reinserting the CCK otherwise the Photos App will not re-read the cards contents.

Job done.....

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave,
Having discussed this at great length with a friend on a different forum we now have an answer on the Camera Connection Kit...... :-

To copy photos from a Laptop to the iPad using the CCK:-
1. Rename any photos you have with an 8 digit filename ~ Home0001 or Famly001.
2. Copy renamed files to an sd card/USB stick and insert into the CCK.
3. Insert CCK into the base of the iPad and load the Photos App. This will then read the contents of any photos you have added using the 8 digit method........................

Hi Beards - thanks for your response & diligence in trying to figure out placing images onto an SD card for iPad input - actually, I was able to do the same using the SD card of my camera by simply putting images onto the card into the DCIM folder and then changing their names to the same format on the card - but I've not taken this much further probably because of it being rather tedious - think that you've gotten the procedure down and will do some more testing myself. Dave :)

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Dave, I knew there was something I left out..... the DCIM folder. Thanks for mentioning this, I'll alter my post above to reflect.

Most reactions

Latest posts