What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connect iPad to MBP as an external monitor, but need to use cable. NOT Air Display.

danno66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all. Any ideas on how I can use an iPad as an external monitor NOT using AIR DISPLAY? It will be for pro use so I don't trust wireless due to so much traffic, and while testing, there was some lag time using our program on the iPad even with fast router/internet.
OR is there any way to setup an iPad to be used exclusively as a monitor. They are the perfect size for use on a stage setup, but can't find a solution involving cables.
Thanks in advance.
Dan WebRep

currentVote

noRating
noWeight

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't. The iPad has no video-in capability in the connector. Something might be cobbled together via USB, but I've never heard of an app doing it. The developer would pretty much have to write their own USB/Video app for both ends.

Air Display does not use the internet, only your home network. Fast as the router may be, the iPad's wireless radio probably can't take full advantage of it. The new iPads should do better, or so they keynote suggests. It might be necessary to upgrade the router, again, to get that performance, since it depends on the new ac standard.

OP
D

danno66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying. I'm bummed since I can't find any monitors even close to the size of an iPad I want to use for tele prompting on concert tour. There aren't any monitors I can find that are as slim. I don't feel confident using Air Display for such application of scrolling.

Thanks again,

Dan

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If all you want is tele prompting, and not an actual second screen, I believe there are several apps available. While a network may be too slow or unreliable for streaming a screen, tele prompting is nothing but text, which almost any network can handle with no noticeable delay.

I can't offer any specific advice, since I don't use or need this application; but it would probably be worth your while to look into it.

Most reactions

Latest posts