What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a way to use my iPad 2 with an external Portrait Monitor?

hines57

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can connect to an external monitor in landscape orientation using a VGA adaptor with my iPad 2 and it works great! However, when I rotate my external monitor to Portrait Mode and also rotate my iPad, the image on the ipad of course rotates perfectly but the external monitor image stays in landscape mode, just gets smaller to fit the iPad Portrait mode in external landscape mode, it won't rotate the external image to take full advantage of the larger portait size.

I need this in order to read my music charts in full screen portrait mode so I can see the entire chart on one page without having to use my fingers to scroll on the iPad when I'm playing. I have a great app called iBandmanager and I love it but when viewing the charts on external monitor they aren't full size because the iPad output won't orient correctly ... :-(

If anyone has any ideas I'd sure appreciate your help! I've already researched a cydia app called displayout but it requires jailbreaking my ipad 2 and from what I can determine, as of 11/25/2012, there isn't an untethered jailbeak available and even if there were, I can't determine for certain if the Cydia app DisplayOut will actually do what I need anyway so I don't want to go to all the trouble and not have it work.

You can see the problem in this picture.

TIA! ExtPortMon.JPG

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is normal behavior from what I can tell. If you use a VGA adaptor with a standard TV and rotate the iPad, it will display the portrait iPad whilst the TV is obviously still (and always is) landscape.

Unless the display/monitor has it's own rotation function, its not going to adapt automatically like the iPad does.

Most reactions

Latest posts