What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

College students: Tablets will replace textbooks by 2017

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The advantage that tablets have is portability. Students cannot carry all of the texts and other documents they need. It is too much weight to manage, and if you set your texts down, they are targets for theives. Especially if you have a laptop in the bag with the texts. And imagine if you are in class 40XX, which requires that you pass 20XX and 30XX. At times, you may need to reference material from the previous levels. With the tablets, you can do this, plus get information from the internet to support what you need. Hopefully, a future side benefit of tablets will be the use of interactive media that can help those people who are not as good at theoretical concepts from written text.

Eventually, the big advantage may be the effect on library services. The library is the core of campus life and is an enormous part of the campus. Not only is the main library enormous in size, they often have a depository where books are stored and brought in by request. Plus certain disciples requires that they have their own library to get accredidation. For example the School of Architecture may have a smaller library of its own, only a block from the main library. What if students can check out any book or periodical without leaving their dorm? Instead of several huge buildings that take hundreds of employees, you could cut staff by 75% and have a depository for special texts, and a small office for digital book processing. One big advantage of such a system is that the books never wear out, the one you want is never checked out, and they will not get rid of one to make room for another.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only issue I see is dealing with lost, damaged, or defective units. The bookstore would have to serve as an authorized dealer and students would need to buy same day replacement insurance.

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm finishing up my last semester in college right now. 3 more weeks!! Woot!!! Personally I prefer books then an ebook. With a physical book in front of me I can concentrate.

Using an ebook, I got the internet right at my hands. I wouldn't get any work done. Just end up procrastinating the whole time.

I don't get my books at full cost in store though... I buy the international editions on ebay. Same content. Different cover and lower quality paper. A lot times I don't see a difference in paper quality.

.. international investments book in bookstore.. $260... International edition on ebay... $50. That's how much a book should cost lol.... $260... **** that...

Some people can do an ebook... I can't. But I'm curious for those who can use an ebook.. what their ending grade is for the class. Wish they did a national poll. That would be an interesting graph to see. Does it really help students or not...

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In 6 more years ereaders will be used by so many kids by the time they get to college they will be trained to use them and better able to concentrate.

wholesalestunna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My book for my class next semester is only $48 dollars in Kindle format. Or I could buy it for $150 and it's only selling back for $50. Ebook all the way!

Most reactions

Latest posts