What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

College students: Tablets will replace textbooks by 2017

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope it will be cheaper for them!! ;)

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The colleges aren't gonna like that. Don't they usually rip people off for textbooks? What will they do know? ;)

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
The colleges aren't gonna like that. Don't they usually rip people off for textbooks? What will they do know? ;)

Nobody likes expensive textbooks for student....profs aren't happy about this either.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most colleges are making the first efforts to initiate the move. There are several reasons, one of which is lower costs, another is flexibility. A class textbook must be selected months in advance. A few years ago, I took a class where the instructor moved just before. I had purchased the text he had chosen, but the new instructor changed the textbook. With digital textbooks, it would be simple to download in the first day of class, with updates and instructor notes. With a local hub setup, homework can be turned in instantly. Also do not forget that books take a large amount of room and space is often at a premium on campuses.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
s2mikey said:

They'll probably still get their cut by renting the e-books to the students for the length of the term.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, colleges are not making much from textbooks. It is the publishers and a few professors who make their books the required text.

Abbas Wuyo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Most colleges are making the first efforts to initiate the move. There are several reasons, one of which is lower costs, another is flexibility. A class textbook must be selected months in advance. A few years ago, I took a class where the instructor moved just before. I had purchased the text he had chosen, but the new instructor changed the textbook. With digital textbooks, it would be simple to download in the first day of class, with updates and instructor notes. With a local hub setup, homework can be turned in instantly. Also do not forget that books take a large amount of room and space is often at a premium on campuses.

I quiet agree with you, but don't you think it will create some problem of reference in the future as I can see with something like iPad that you can retrieve data from the iPad to any media like or transfer, so immediately you loose your device or machine by any means it goes with it

Amorsolo450

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last year’s findings indicated that college students were primed to buy Apple and Android tablets once the technology became more available and cheaper. Only two in 10 college students said they had no interest in buying a tablet in 2011, and 86 percent of respondents said the “devices help students study more efficiently.â€

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's true. I got my iPad shortly after they very first came out. In my first year.
Everyone stared at it in lectures, and I felt like a show off for using it.
Now I'm in my third year, and it seems like everyone has one!

Most reactions

Latest posts