What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Check For Update" not working?

Dahabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm attempting to update my ipad to 4.2 ios, but every time I click on "check for update", I receive an error message that reads,

"The iPad sofware update server could not be contacted"

Anyone have any solutions to this? I'm connected to my internet just fine, and I believe iTunes is up to date. Thanks.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried rebooting/restarting your computer. iTunes could be confused and rebooting might just clear it's little mind.

OP
D

Dahabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I just tried it with no luck. Also worth noting is that my iTunes is up to date and my iPad 3.2.2 is jailbroken.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I experienced the same thing, but I was not jb.
I downloaded the 4.2.1 from the apple's site manually, then update using the shift key.

OP
D

Dahabi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okkk major problem. I tried the shift trick, and it seemed as though it was working, then the iPad gave me the USB/iTunes black screen, and now iTunes is saying my iPad is in recovery mode, and the restore of 4.2.1 isnt working.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this method:

Method to Restore through iTunes.

1. Connect your device to iTunes.

2. Turn your device off by holding Home + Power buttons until screen goes black then immediately let go of both buttons.

3. Now that your device is off and the cables connected, press and hold the Home button and unplug the USB cable and plug it back in from the iPhone 4 end while continuing to hold down the Home button.

6. This will put you in Restore Mode so you can Restore through iTunes.

Most reactions