What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charging ipad using MacBook

lairman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad will not charge when it is plugged in to my MacBook, however my iPhone will. Does anyone have any ideas?

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Newer iPads may require more amperage to charge than your laptop can supply. I assume your iPhone is older and uses less current.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My ipad will not charge when it is plugged in to my MacBook, however my iPhone will. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi Lairman - welcome to the forum! :) Just to expand on Lanny's excellent response, the chargers used by the iPad require more 'power' (measured in Watts which is amperage x voltage) - for earlier chargers, 10 Watts was the standard (i.e. 5 V x 2 Amps); for recent models, 12 Watts (i.e. 5 V x 2.4 Amps) - the iPhone (or my old iPod Touch) requires half of that power.

Now, USB provides 'power' but the amount has varied considerably w/ the standards, now @ 3.x (check HERE) - the amount of power w/ the newest standards has increased to adequately charge an iPad, but not so w/ earlier standards; so, depending on your USB ports, the iPad may show the 'charging' icon or may not - a trickle charge will be applied w/ the earlier USB ports but will take a lot longer to charge the iPad.

Bottom line - your iPhone is charging because only 5 Watts is required, while you iPad is not showing charging because it requires twice the power - Dave :)

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try using AiCharger by Asus, a free download to enable charging all your iDevices.

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are also several device to accomplished this also if your are afraid that AiCharger with overheat your PC. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link. The one I use is by RavPower, RAVPower RP-UA01 Smart & Swift PC USB Charger for For iPad / IPad 2 / iPhone Series / Most Smartphones. Do a google search for it. Simple to use. Push a small button to go from syncing to charging. It works with my iPad Air.

There is also a device that has a longer cord-tail on it in Amazon called an iFlash. Another device made by Scosche called a Charge & Sync cable.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try using AiCharger by Asus, a free download to enable charging all your iDevices.

Hi - thanks for the mention of this software from Asus - new to me (pic below claiming up to a 50% faster charge); some information HERE - presumably the software alters how much amperage is sent to the USB port; seems to work w/ Intel based PCs - not sure about working on Apple computers which are of course now Intel based - I guess that the main question is whether 'over powering' the USB port (like over clocking a CPU) could damage your computer's motherboard? Don't know - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 5.47.00 PM.png

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's the same question had and reason I got the adapter, which works by just reverting the pins for the charge.

Most reactions

Latest posts