Charging ipad using MacBook

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by lairman, Nov 18, 2013.

1. lairman

lairman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My ipad will not charge when it is plugged in to my MacBook, however my iPhone will. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Newer iPads may require more amperage to charge than your laptop can supply. I assume your iPhone is older and uses less current.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

3. lairman

lairman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks LannyC

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Lairman - welcome to the forum! :) Just to expand on Lanny's excellent response, the chargers used by the iPad require more 'power' (measured in Watts which is amperage x voltage) - for earlier chargers, 10 Watts was the standard (i.e. 5 V x 2 Amps); for recent models, 12 Watts (i.e. 5 V x 2.4 Amps) - the iPhone (or my old iPod Touch) requires half of that power.

Now, USB provides 'power' but the amount has varied considerably w/ the standards, now @ 3.x (check HERE) - the amount of power w/ the newest standards has increased to adequately charge an iPad, but not so w/ earlier standards; so, depending on your USB ports, the iPad may show the 'charging' icon or may not - a trickle charge will be applied w/ the earlier USB ports but will take a lot longer to charge the iPad.

Bottom line - your iPhone is charging because only 5 Watts is required, while you iPad is not showing charging because it requires twice the power - Dave :)

5. lairman

lairman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Giradman.

Larry

6. Wokiebear

Wokiebear
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Try using AiCharger by Asus, a free download to enable charging all your iDevices.

7. Wokiebear

Wokiebear
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    There are also several device to accomplished this also if your are afraid that AiCharger with overheat your PC. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link. The one I use is by RavPower, RAVPower RP-UA01 Smart & Swift PC USB Charger for For iPad / IPad 2 / iPhone Series / Most Smartphones. Do a google search for it. Simple to use. Push a small button to go from syncing to charging. It works with my iPad Air.

There is also a device that has a longer cord-tail on it in Amazon called an iFlash. Another device made by Scosche called a Charge & Sync cable.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi - thanks for the mention of this software from Asus - new to me (pic below claiming up to a 50% faster charge); some information HERE - presumably the software alters how much amperage is sent to the USB port; seems to work w/ Intel based PCs - not sure about working on Apple computers which are of course now Intel based - I guess that the main question is whether 'over powering' the USB port (like over clocking a CPU) could damage your computer's motherboard? Don't know - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 5.47.00 PM.png

9. Wokiebear

Wokiebear
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    That's the same question had and reason I got the adapter, which works by just reverting the pins for the charge.