Does ipad stop accepting charging at 100%

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Rever3nce, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Rever3nce

Rever3nce iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to. Charge my iPad overnight but dnt wanna ruin the overall battery life. I have been told that apple products stop accepting a charge once it reaches 100%. Is this true with the iPad , iPhone 4 and MacBook??? If so are there any links to any site saying so? I just wanna be safe and not mess up my battery . Thanks for any information

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    The iPad has very sophisticated battery charging electronics built in and can be safely left on charge indefinitely. The iPad carefully monitors the charge current and adjusts it continually depending upon the charge state of the battery. As you suggest, when it gets to 100% it adjusts the current appropriately. Also, iPad batteries do not suffer from the 'memory' effect that earlier generation batteries had, so you can also safely recharge a partially discharged battery without any ill-effect. Apple, however, do recommend you occasionally completely discharge the battery - not for the 'welfare' of the battery, but to re-calibrate the battery 'meter' that indicates how much remaining charge there is in the battery.

Tim

3. Rever3nce

Rever3nce iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply :). Now I'm gonna charge it overnight for today. Of course I won't do it every night but nice to know it won't hurt it

4. TonyR

TonyR iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm wondering whether that's part of the reported battery life problems with iOS 4.3. I started getting really bad battery life particularly on my iPhone when I upgraded - it wouldn't last the morning - but following a tip I found via Google, I discharged both the iPad and iPhone and then gave them a long 24hr continuous charge. Now both battery lives are back to normal.

5. jgumphress

jgumphress iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like all of my electronic toys I keep my gadgets on the charging stands constantly. I only remove them when I want to use them. That way I always have a 100% battery when I need to grab-n-go for the day.

6. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I do exactly the same - I'm fanatical about keeping them fully charged. It's a great feeling, knowing you've got a full battery!!

Tim