What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Unveils Fourth-Generation Full-Sized iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
4th_gen_iPad.JPG

As well as launching the amazing new iPad mini today, Apple also unveiled a refresh of the regular-sized iPad range, with the fourth-generation iPad. The new iPad features a 9.7-inch Retina display, and includes a brand new chip, the Apple-designed A6X chip, which Apple says will deliver up to twice the CPU performance and up to twice the graphics performance of the A5X chip, while at the same time still providing 10 hours of battery life. Also new to this latest version of the iPad are a FaceTime HD camera, double the Wi-Fi performance of previous models, and worldwide LTE carrier support. As expected, the fourth-gen iPad also now sports a Lightning connector.

Here are all the pricing details and pre-order details for both new iPads, directly from Apple:

iPad mini with Wi-Fi models will be available in black & slate or white & silver on Friday, November 2, for a suggested retail price of $329 (US) for the 16GB model, $429 (US) for the 32GB model and $529 (US) for the 64GB model. The fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi models will also be available on Friday, November 2, in black or white for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad mini and the fourth generation iPad will be sold through the Apple Online Store (Apple), Apple’s retail stores, and select Apple Authorized Resellers in the US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

iPad mini with Wi-Fi + Cellular and fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular will start shipping a couple of weeks after the Wi-Fi models, beginning in the US on AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. iPad mini with Wi-Fi + Cellular will be offered for a suggested retail price of $459 (US) for the 16GB model, $559 (US) for the 32GB model and $659 (US) for the 64GB model. Fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular will be offered for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. Additionally, iPad 2 is available at $399 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi model and just $529 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G model where they are sold now.

Customers can begin pre-ordering all models of iPad mini and all models of the fourth generation iPad on Friday, October 26 through the Apple Online Store in the US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

Source: Apple

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks but no thanks sticking with the 3.

But it's nice to see they're sticking with the RD.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Same here. Until I bought Infinity Blade 2, I wasn't using anything that required the Retina display on my iPad 3; no reason for me to move up to the 4. I still think the best philosophy for any iPad user is to skip a generation before upgrading to get the best bang for the buck.

Mscosmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there really a big difference in the 3 & 4?

Sent from my iPad 64gb using iPF

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there really a big difference in the 3 & 4?

Sent from my iPad 64gb using iPF

The 4 will have:

A faster processor
Improved wifi capability
HD FaceTime
Lightning Connector

Other than that everything is about the same between the 3 and 4.

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
The 4 will have:

A faster processor
Improved wifi capability
HD FaceTime
Lightning Connector

Other than that everything is about the same between the 3 and 4.

I will stick with my iPad 3, because I don't have the money right now to buy a new one

Y

y39vonne

epb said:
Same here. Until I bought Infinity Blade 2, I wasn't using anything that required the Retina display on my iPad 3; no reason for me to move up to the 4. I still think the best philosophy for any iPad user is to skip a generation before upgrading to get the best bang for the buck.

Thanks for the "quote" about skipping a generation. Being relatively new to technology and with all the marketing I will remember your words..

Zachariot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i got an ipad 2 in august .... i love it . i optimized the battery life and can use it heavily for 17-18 hours on a single charge i love it. I really see no need for the new ipads at all except if you really really need that retina display. i am not trying to disrespect the newer ipads i just think they are not necessary.

Mscosmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love my iP3. Unless I can exchange mine to get the iP4 for $100 (mine is in excellent condition), I'll stick with what I have. As was suggested, I'll wait for the next generation. BTW, how do you optimize your battery? :)

Sent from my iP3/64gb using iPF

Zachariot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get 17-18 hours usage when i use my ipad 2 for playing games movies music browsing internet. I cant use an ipad continuosly without breaks for 18 hours in a row lol. i put my screen brightness all the way down. i never put it up because its already really bright for me. i dont use notifications at all. All system sounds are off. no sounds. I use free mercury browser's dimmer function and turn down system brightness even more to ridiculous levels it lets me search longer than safari. I take off; multitasking gestures ; all push notifications mail stuff i check my mail manually once a day, and i take off pretty much everything i think drains battery lol, facetime off, and itunes app off too. i run through all system settings and turn off most stuff. Also i reset my network settings and connect only 1 wifi network to my ipad. Too much network data can drain battery. I only had my ipad 3 months but i had an ipod touch 5 years! Also i only charge my ipad 2 once it hits 20% or lower then i let it fill up completely.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Zachariot said:
i got an ipad 2 in august .... i love it . i optimized the battery life and can use it heavily for 17-18 hours on a single charge i love it. I really see no need for the new ipads at all except if you really really need that retina display. i am not trying to disrespect the newer ipads i just think they are not necessary.

They are necessary for first-time buyers :)

Grandad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So here is my quandary……….I have iPad 1 and to be honest it is starting to show it’s age. What with no upgrade to iOS 6, and huge improvements in screen resolution.

I let the 2 go by and also the New iPad but now we have this 4th generation…….what to

The mini is not for me. Sorry but I just can’t see a true Apple fan wanting a mini as a substitute for a full size iPad. Perhaps as an extra for those that can afford it, but not a substitute!

The 4th generation seems to be what I have been waiting for. A6 chip, and retina screen + wifi upgrade etc. I have some time to make up my mind however as I have to save up the pennies to get one by which time we will have heard all the cons as well, like being able to fry eggs on it for example!!

What about the “5†though? What do you guys think may appear in the next generation? Will I end up feeling peeved like the people that bought the New iPad…….what do you “experts†think I should do?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So here is my quandary……….I have iPad 1 and to be honest it is starting to show it’s age. What with no upgrade to iOS 6, and huge improvements in screen resolution.

I let the 2 go by and also the New iPad but now we have this 4th generation…….what to

The mini is not for me. Sorry but I just can’t see a true Apple fan wanting a mini as a substitute for a full size iPad. Perhaps as an extra for those that can afford it, but not a substitute!

The 4th generation seems to be what I have been waiting for. A6 chip, and retina screen + wifi upgrade etc. I have some time to make up my mind however as I have to save up the pennies to get one by which time we will have heard all the cons as well, like being able to fry eggs on it for example!!

What about the “5” though? What do you guys think may appear in the next generation? Will I end up feeling peeved like the people that bought the New iPad…….what do you “experts” think I should do?

No need to decide till you've saved enough money. Then, you can decide which to buy, based on what's out or coming out.

With tech, there will always be a newer model. Even as they unveil a new one, they've already started designing another model.

So consider your needs and budget and buy accordingly.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I really see no need to tell other people what they need or don't need, lol. It would be presumptuous of me to tell you what to buy, and vice versa.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

What about the “5” though? What do you guys think may appear in the next generation? Will I end up feeling peeved like the people that bought the New iPad…….what do you “experts” think I should do?

Actually, at about 116Deg F, it might take a LONG time to fry that egg!

There is a reasonable change that Apple may refresh again next March. Right now, these are the things I'm looking for: 128GB storage, lighter and thinner, longer battery life. Oh...and if they could figure a way to keep the lovely screen but reduce fingerprints, I would see that as huge. As I'm not really a game player (I have several, but I never seem to find time to play them these days), speed isn't going to be a big sell for me. We will see and I reserve the right to change my mind, but I might keep this iPad 3 for 2 years!

Most reactions