1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Apple Unveils Fourth-Generation Full-Sized iPad

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100 / 0
    [​IMG]

As well as launching the amazing new iPad mini today, Apple also unveiled a refresh of the regular-sized iPad range, with the fourth-generation iPad. The new iPad features a 9.7-inch Retina display, and includes a brand new chip, the Apple-designed A6X chip, which Apple says will deliver up to twice the CPU performance and up to twice the graphics performance of the A5X chip, while at the same time still providing 10 hours of battery life. Also new to this latest version of the iPad are a FaceTime HD camera, double the Wi-Fi performance of previous models, and worldwide LTE carrier support. As expected, the fourth-gen iPad also now sports a Lightning connector.

Here are all the pricing details and pre-order details for both new iPads, directly from Apple:

Source: Apple
  2. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    Thanks but no thanks sticking with the 3.

But it's nice to see they're sticking with the RD.
  3. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Same here. Until I bought Infinity Blade 2, I wasn't using anything that required the Retina display on my iPad 3; no reason for me to move up to the 4. I still think the best philosophy for any iPad user is to skip a generation before upgrading to get the best bang for the buck.
  4. Mscosmo

Mscosmo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there really a big difference in the 3 & 4?

Sent from my iPad 64gb using iPF
  5. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    The 4 will have:

A faster processor
    Improved wifi capability
    HD FaceTime
    Lightning Connector

Other than that everything is about the same between the 3 and 4.
  6. mannyberrios

mannyberrios iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I will stick with my iPad 3, because I don't have the money right now to buy a new one
  7. y39vonne

y39vonne Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the "quote" about skipping a generation. Being relatively new to technology and with all the marketing I will remember your words..
  8. Zachariot

Zachariot iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i got an ipad 2 in august .... i love it . i optimized the battery life and can use it heavily for 17-18 hours on a single charge i love it. I really see no need for the new ipads at all except if you really really need that retina display. i am not trying to disrespect the newer ipads i just think they are not necessary.
  9. Mscosmo

Mscosmo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love my iP3. Unless I can exchange mine to get the iP4 for $100 (mine is in excellent condition), I'll stick with what I have. As was suggested, I'll wait for the next generation. BTW, how do you optimize your battery? :)

Sent from my iP3/64gb using iPF
  10. Zachariot

Zachariot iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I get 17-18 hours usage when i use my ipad 2 for playing games movies music browsing internet. I cant use an ipad continuosly without breaks for 18 hours in a row lol. i put my screen brightness all the way down. i never put it up because its already really bright for me. i dont use notifications at all. All system sounds are off. no sounds. I use free mercury browser's dimmer function and turn down system brightness even more to ridiculous levels it lets me search longer than safari. I take off; multitasking gestures ; all push notifications mail stuff i check my mail manually once a day, and i take off pretty much everything i think drains battery lol, facetime off, and itunes app off too. i run through all system settings and turn off most stuff. Also i reset my network settings and connect only 1 wifi network to my ipad. Too much network data can drain battery. I only had my ipad 3 months but i had an ipod touch 5 years! Also i only charge my ipad 2 once it hits 20% or lower then i let it fill up completely.
  11. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +152 / 0
    They are necessary for first-time buyers :)
  12. Grandad

Grandad iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So here is my quandary……….I have iPad 1 and to be honest it is starting to show it’s age. What with no upgrade to iOS 6, and huge improvements in screen resolution.

I let the 2 go by and also the New iPad but now we have this 4th generation…….what to

The mini is not for me. Sorry but I just can’t see a true Apple fan wanting a mini as a substitute for a full size iPad. Perhaps as an extra for those that can afford it, but not a substitute!

The 4th generation seems to be what I have been waiting for. A6 chip, and retina screen + wifi upgrade etc. I have some time to make up my mind however as I have to save up the pennies to get one by which time we will have heard all the cons as well, like being able to fry eggs on it for example!!

What about the “5†though? What do you guys think may appear in the next generation? Will I end up feeling peeved like the people that bought the New iPad…….what do you “experts†think I should do?
  13. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    No need to decide till you've saved enough money. Then, you can decide which to buy, based on what's out or coming out.

With tech, there will always be a newer model. Even as they unveil a new one, they've already started designing another model.

So consider your needs and budget and buy accordingly.
  14. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I really see no need to tell other people what they need or don't need, lol. It would be presumptuous of me to tell you what to buy, and vice versa.
  15. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Actually, at about 116Deg F, it might take a LONG time to fry that egg!

There is a reasonable change that Apple may refresh again next March. Right now, these are the things I'm looking for: 128GB storage, lighter and thinner, longer battery life. Oh...and if they could figure a way to keep the lovely screen but reduce fingerprints, I would see that as huge. As I'm not really a game player (I have several, but I never seem to find time to play them these days), speed isn't going to be a big sell for me. We will see and I reserve the right to change my mind, but I might keep this iPad 3 for 2 years!
  16. Mscosmo

Mscosmo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Zachariot, all I can say is WOW! Thanks for the info. I may checkout a few of your tips. :)

Sent from my iP3/64gb using iPF
  17. RebornProphet

RebornProphet iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The thing I don't quite get is that there are people saying, "The 4th Gen finally gives me what I want, a Retina display".

The 3rd Gen "new iPad" had the exact same display!
  18. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I hope Apple does refresh in March, especially if iPad becomes lighter, with more storage and battery life! The device is thin enough for me, but less weight would be welcome.

I keep all my devices indefinitely or give them away, and I don't need to have the latest models, but I'm always ready to buy if new features tempt me enough. It wouldn't bother me if manufacturers upgraded devices with more frequency, as long as mine aren't left stranded by firmware upgrades.
  19. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I do think it is possible to get it too thin, but a bit thinner and definitely lighter (weight is more important) would be perfect for me, providing battery life doesn't take a hit. I tend to gift my devices too, though I sold my iPad 2. I'm going to give my bother my Acer A500 and probably my Kindle Fire. He'll rom and root them within minutes of getting his hands on them...probably over clock them too. The Fire is said to be nice running Jelly Bean.
  20. tlbaker

tlbaker iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0
    I am still on iPad 2 and iPhone 4 tee hee!!!

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF