What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't register mobile me on iPad, no error.

Cutlerb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and hope someone can help. I have an iPad running OS 4.2.1. I want to use find my ipadand touch. I do not have a mobile me account. When I follow the directions to add it, I get a notice that the privacy rules have changed. The rules pop up but when I click accept, I am dumped out to the home screen in my iPad with no error or warning. I have gone back, tried it again, checked to see if it registered anyway etc., but it's not there. Any thoughts?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to the Apple site and sign up for a free MobileMe trial account. This is the same account you would be creating on the iPad. Once you've got it use the password and username you used.

Hint: Use the the same password and username you use for your Apple ID in iTunes. It will save you headaches latter if you decide to keep MobileMe.

Apple - MobileMe - Your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and PC. In perfect sync.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found similar problems and found that I had to register to use MobileMe from a PC and not from an iPad. It installs software onto your PC that allows you to configure MobileMe - what do you want to sync between your iPad and PC - Contacts? Bookmarks? etc.

I then installed the iDisk app (free) from the App Store from my iPad and, when it asked for my details, I entered those I'd used when I registered from the PC. It accepted those and now everything works fine.

I can now upload files from my PC to MobileMe. To do this you go to the MobileMe website from your PC (I found Safari on the PC worked best, I normally use FireFox but this gave all sorts of problems), log on and there you are presented with a whole range of options. If you choose the iDisk option you can upload or download files from your PC to MobileMe - MobileMe has a number of default categories - Music, Video, Documents etc - but you can create new folders and sub-folders (a little difficult to find that option and I found it easy to create folders in the 'wrong place', so you need some patience!).

From the iPad iDisk app you can similarly view the files you've uploaded (and, if they're mp3 files play them from within iDisk) and, if the file type is recognised by the iPad, you can open the file from the appropriate app.

Similarly, if you're within an app (say the Apple iWork 'Pages' (MS Word compatible)) then you can directly import or export files from the iDisk (assuming, of course, that you are connected to the Internet). I've not found any problems with it. You also get an email account ('name'@me.com) that will 'push' email, contacts, bookmarks (assuming you chose to have them sync'd).

All-in-all it works fine and it's an easy way to share documents and other files between your PC and iPad without having to go through the tortuous process of connecting the iPad and PC and using iTunes. In fact, it more-or-less replaces the functionality of iTunes except for one very important omission - MobileMe doesn't backup your iPad. So you still need to connect the iPad and PC occasionally to back up.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Of course after your 60 day trial it costs money to keep using those features. The good news is that the find iPhone app should still work.

OP
C

Cutlerb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fixed!

Thanks Twerppoet. I did what you suggested.

Funny enough, I didn't have to set up MobileMe on my iPad. I set up FMI with my apple ID once I had registered. The down side was that I had to live chat with MobileMe support to get them to disable the account so I wasn't charged. It was mildly irritating, but completely worth it.

Thanks again for your help!

Most reactions

Latest posts