What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't change the type of media from Home Videos to TV Shows

endr1u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My aim is to organize videos into folders, so I followed the well known workaround to change the type of videos to 'TV Show' and group them by name of the 'show'. After changing the type, videos are moved to 'TV Shows', but when I try to play them on iPad, the player shows up for a fraction of second and closes (the "downloading" icon appears, of course running endlessly, since the files are mine, not downloaded). After that, when I try to play the video in iTunes, the exclamation mark appears, and the only thing I can do with the video is delete it...

I have, in fact, succeeded in this conversion with one of the files, but only once. After deleting it and trying once again, the same problem appeared. Is this a software bug (how can I debug it?), or a new feature in iOS 8.1 and the only thing I can do to get my videos organized is to rely on third party apps?

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 8.1

OP
E

endr1u

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, the problem is solved. I've beed uploading the videos directly to iPad ("On My Device" section) and then trying to change the type to TV Show, while I should first import them into iTunes library, then change the type, and finally sync.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ah! That's good to know. Thanks for the followup.

That's how I thought you were doing it, from the description. I didn't even consider that you were loading on the iPad first. Which is why I couldn't think of any way to help. That's what I get for assuming. :oops:

Most reactions

Latest posts