What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot activate iOS6.1.2

oneashleym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all - I've just bought a 2nd hand iPad 2 (32GB wifi+3G) and it was running iOS5 - the guy selling said he'd wipe it and upgrade to iOS6 before shiping.

He has done - but now the ipad won't activate. It says the server is not currently available and to try later or connecting using itunes - did both these things.

I've tried DFU and reloading 6.1.2 - with no success.

I also tried with 5.0 - again no luck - I got an error message that the software was incompatible.

I've hunted the IMEI info and although it's still under contract - it's not listed as stolen or missing - though I can't find the carrier info...

Anyone got any more ideas or am I going to have to return it?

Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all - I've just bought a 2nd hand iPad 2 (32GB wifi+3G) and it was running iOS5 - the guy selling said he'd wipe it and upgrade to iOS6 before shiping.

He has done - but now the ipad won't activate. It says the server is not currently available and to try later or connecting using itunes - did both these things.

I've tried DFU and reloading 6.1.2 - with no success.

I also tried with 5.0 - again no luck - I got an error message that the software was incompatible.

I've hunted the IMEI info and although it's still under contract - it's not listed as stolen or missing - though I can't find the carrier info...

Anyone got any more ideas or am I going to have to return it?

Thanks!

The signing window for iOS 6.1.2 is closed, you can't load that iOS on your iPad any longer. Yu don't need a data plan or even a SIM card in the slot to activate an iPad for WiFi use. Does yours work on WiFi?

OP
O

oneashleym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad connects via wifi, but won't activate - that is my issue - it says the activation srver is unavailable...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try restoring to iOS 6.1.3 using this tutorial by my fellow moderator, f4780y: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

You can skip step number two as you don't need it - this is just the best tutorial we have for downloading the iOS's IPSW file and using DFU mode to do the restore. Easier than writing everything out. Just make sure you get the right iOS for your iPad.

If you follow all the steps exactly as written, you should end up with a stock iPad running the newest iOS.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
O

oneashleym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so i did the restore - and the software verifies with Apple and the iPad starts up in config mode - but still will not activate...

I made sure itunes was updated and did a diagnostic and I'm verified to the itunes store.

Image of the error I get on itunes is attached - I get a similar message through wifi...

Your iPad could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable - it then suggests trying through itunes...

Any more ideas?

Attachments

• iPad error.jpg
    iPad error.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 641

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
OK, so i did the restore - and the software verifies with Apple and the iPad starts up in config mode - but still will not activate...

I made sure itunes was updated and did a diagnostic and I'm verified to the itunes store.

Image of the error I get on itunes is attached - I get a similar message through wifi...

Your iPad could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable - it tyen suggest trying through itunes...

Any more ideas?

Are you familiar with the individual you purchased the iPad from?

I'm wondering if the problem may be related to a bad or failed jailbreak attempt.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
O

oneashleym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought DFU worked at a lower level than jailbreaking and that a full restore will stop any iPad becoming a brick - or am I wrong?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After research - I think I've found the trouble.

The previous owner of that iPad "hacked" it to allow him/her to use a different carrier (for data). He probably jail broke it to do that. Then, when he upgraded it to iOS 6, the hack was wiped and so the iPad was re-locked to the original wireless carrier. The only way to get it to activate is to contact the original carrier to unlock it (or to re-activate it on their system - if that's possible).

So, either contact the seller to get the info you need to contact the original carrier or send it back/return it.

There is no way to fix that error notice until/unless you contact the original carrier. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
O

oneashleym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK that's useful info - the only trouble is I contacted Apple support and the device is unlocked to all networks - no way of knowing who the original carrier was. Also they said it didn't matter if there was no SIM in, it should register over wifi - unless you're saying blocking the IMEI will also produce this result?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just basing my response from reading the Apple support forums that talked about the iPhone. We don't have carrier-locked iPads here in the USA and we don't have to start a monthly contract. All we have to do is ensure we buy the correct iPad for the GSM or CDMA carrier and then we can buy data on a month-to-month/pay-as-you-go plan; no contract.

All that to say - I don't know how a carrier-locked iPad would behave. And, I don't know if it affects WiFi. I just made an assumption that the phrase you encountered is for the same reasons people encounter it on an iPhone. After that, I've got nothing, sorry.

Marilyn

OP
O

oneashleym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No worries - I'm glad of the help - just wish this issue wasn't such a complex one!

OP
O

oneashleym

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm - I've done another check and the iPad is unlocked to all networks - so it can't be a carrier issue...

Any more ideas anyone?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm - I've done another check and the iPad is unlocked to all networks - so it can't be a carrier issue...

Any more ideas anyone?

Have you thought about making a Genius appointment at an Apple Store and having your iPad checked out?

Most reactions

Latest posts