What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian iPad 3g in the US?

benjaminrc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what the best way would be to go about using my Canadian iPad 3G in the US? Will I be able to get a prepaid microsim down there and will it be compatible with my iPad? If so any recommendations on carriers? I will just be down for two weeks and don't want to pay ridiculous roaming charges.

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A number of service providers sell PAYG (pay as you go) microSIMs in the US - so you should have no problems at all. A couple of Forum posters, though, have reported difficulty with using Canadian credit cards to purchase these SIMs. I'm not sure why; I've never had a problem with a UK credit card.

On my last couple of visits, though, I've relied on WiFi. There are so many - often free - WiFi hotspots in the US that I found I had very little need for my 3G connection. However, I was mainly based in urban areas - and Silicon Valley at that - so, if you're going to be in more rural areas that might not apply. I always visit Kinkos - the print and copy shop - they have free WiFi. So do most motels, malls, coffee shops, franchises.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Tim
Scotland

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
As far as I know, only AT&T has a data plan for iPads (at least, for GSM ones). American Express credit cards work; I couldn't get a Canadian MasterCard to work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Call AT&T, and see what they say. The worse that can happen is they will say they can't help you. The only other GSM carrier in the US is T-Mobile. You could call and ask them as well.

Check both coverage maps and make sure it's worth your while for whatever locations you are visiting.

OP
B

benjaminrc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone! Wifi will be helpful for parts of the trip but I will be spending a lot of time on the road (driving down to Austin) so we'll see how it goes. I'll see if I can get one of my credit cards to work.

Thanks Again!

Most reactions

Latest posts