What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you modify an existing app software to make a new app?

jepoori

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I would like to make an app, but I want to know if I can use an exisitng app such as Notes and modify the codes using Xcode to make an entirely different app. Is that possible?
thanks.

Chuy Hardy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well you can, you can if you are familiar with programing is something like getting the code font on a web and "modifying" the specific details, but you could get some legal problems.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you have no way to get the source code for Notes, the answer is no, you cannot modify Notes and make a new App from it.

-t

Chuy Hardy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Since you have no way to get the source code for Notes, the answer is no, you cannot modify Notes and make a new App from it.

-t

Who says you can't get the source code?, of course you can... An option "b" could be get a "template", "example" or a "basic code" from some website.

I bet you can find this codes just by looking them in google...

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You think you can get source code for Apples Pages app through google? Really?

-t

Chuy Hardy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
You think you can get source code for Apples Pages app through google? Really?

-t

No, I'm talking about the templates or the examples, notes is a easy app, and about the apple apps, of course you can modify them... If you couldn't there would be no jailbreak...

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hacking an app by replacing bits of the binary is not the same as taking an existing app and modifying it or extending it into a new app.

What the OP wants to do is not possible without source, and source code is not available.

-t

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Do you have any experience as a programmer? If not, trying to achieve something thru shortcuts will just end up in a big failure. Start from examples, learn your way into coding. It can take some time to get good results but experience is the key.

- define what you want to achieve
- make sure that you are solving a problem and not reinventing the wheel
- take your time to properly design your app
- build some prototypes
- start coding to make it work, then make it efficient
- test, test, test...
- enjoy your new product

A lot of people can code, but few can make something usable and useful. When we start, we all have that idea of creating the most advanced software using the latest goodies found on the Internet. After a while and many failures, we start to realize that the key to success is to think first. Creating a software is more than just coding a few lines. It involves listening to potential users, validating ideas and concepts, putting efforts in the project, ensuring quality over dead lines...

It's a bit like writing a story. Everybody can do it, but only those who will take the time to prepare, think and review will succeed.

May the force be with you! ;)

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions