What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can we use DropBox safely?

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to send data safely thru DropBox? I have read about a product called "LocBox", but it doesn't appear to be available for use on an iPad.

I would like to be able to share sensitive information between home PC and iPad/iPhone... but so far I haven't found the "red pill".

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to send data safely thru DropBox? I have read about a product called "LocBox", but it doesn't appear to be available for use on an iPad.

I would like to be able to share sensitive information between home PC and iPad/iPhone... but so far I haven't found the "red pill".

I'd be leery about placing any sensitive data in the cloud unless the app clearly states it is using state of the art encryption (and the dev has a solid reputation). Depending on DropBox's native encryption for serious protection is not a good idea, imo.

The only sensitive app I've trusted to DropBox so far is 1Password.

I do have a lot of files in the cloud, but while a few of them might be mildly embarrassing, none are what I'd call sensitive.

OP
P

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes... exactly! Any "cloud" service is inherently unsafe, if you put sensitive information into it. It is best to encrypt sensitive information before placing it into the cloud. "LocBox" does this, but as far as I know it does not have a client available for iPad usage (just desktops).

So I was wondering, does anyone know of a safe way to use DropBox on the iPad?

If you are just storing things that are not sensitive in the cloud, there is no problem... it is safe enough for that. But what about your bank account information, or even worse, your customers' credit card information. There may be a storm over your head if such critical information was hacked, like happened to Sony or other large corporations. Best not put stuff in the cloud that you cannot afford to lose control over. I was hoping that some sort of encryption based solution was available, to help make it safe.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the program TrueCrypt, which you would install on your PC/Mac. I don't know how you would access the data from your iPad, but at least you could have a folder on Dropbox that has been encrypted by you.

I know nothing more about the program - just that it exists. But, maybe something worth looking at?

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But what about your bank account information, or even worse, your customers' credit card information. There may be a storm over your head if such critical information was hacked, like happened to Sony or other large corporations. Best not put stuff in the cloud that you cannot afford to lose control over. I was hoping that some sort of encryption based solution was available, to help make it safe.

I mentioned 1Password. It can store a lot more than passwords. I have bank accounts, credit cards, and sensitive notes. It uses DropBox to stay in sync with several devices. And it uses good encryption at every stage.

Not the cheapest solution, but one of the best. Here's their FAQ.
file:///Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Resources/Help/security.html

Kathryn4812

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
LOL! You are so funny. It is a movie, like Poet said.

Rent it.;) Then you will be in the loop!

I would rather put that loop round my ankle and be strung upside down actually! But I'm grateful for the explanations.

OP
P

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw your recommendation for 1Password. It looks good (but pricey, as you pointed out). But the real problem that I see, is there a way to pass information between iPad and PC? This is the beauty of DropBox, and why I wanted some encryption that would work on both sides of the DropBox. 1Password just appears to be an iOS program... we need a PC client to pass the information thru the DropBox to our iPad (and back again... safely, of course).

Maybe I just don't understand completely what 1Password is or does.

OP
P

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
LOL! You are so funny. It is a movie, like Poet said.

Rent it.;) Then you will be in the loop!

I would rather put that loop round my ankle and be strung upside down actually! But I'm grateful for the explanations.

If you haven't seen it yet, The Matrix is a great move. One of the better Keanu Reeves movies. It is a SciFi flick though, so not everyone's cup of tea.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, I'm pretty sure 1Password won't do what you are envisioning. It will securely store and sync the sensitive information you mentioned in your earlier post, but it won't encrypt and pass files outside of it's own database.

I only brought it up again because you mentioned credit card, bank, and other sensitive info. It does a great job of that. It also has some nice trick with browsers in it's desktop version. But I ramble on...

Most reactions

Latest posts