What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can BlackBerry PlayBook Threaten iPad?

MobileSpoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.mobilespoon.net
I've reveiwed the new BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet in my blog, and while doing so, I found a lot of advantages (in terms of specs) over the iPad.

Everything There Is To Know About BlackBerry PlayBook

BlackBerry-PlayBook-Image_thumb%5B2%5D.png

Of course, those are all just theoretical advantages, as the product is not released yet, and we didn't even see much of it besides a promotion video.

No one knows how the user experience will be, how the battery life or performance will be, how many apps will be included on launch, etc.

What do you think?

Do you think the BlackBerry / enterprise integration or the Flash support will be enough for organizations to easily adopt the new BlackBerry Tablet?

With so many tablets released recently - Apple should quickly release a new iPad version with some killer features, don't you think?

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have a bb torch and there are some neat advantages, but the os is poor, a lot of hang ups.. i foresee bb going out of biz in about 5 years if they dont make some better smartphones with better os.. and they have no customer support, u actually have to pay to talk to tech support.. rubbish..and they release products that just cant compete and seem outdated...

although i must say this tablet looks good..

BBSean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the playbook is to the ipad as the bb is to the iphone, then rim doesnt even come close.

Being the owner of a bb, ip4, and an ipad, i can say that rim isn't even close with their current products.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BlackBerry toys

the specs look goods , but as we know the spec’s is not enough …. BB play like all computer maker WHO HAVE THE BIGGEST ONE flash is just a small point than more and more people care less ….

some shadow still stay concerning this device : like the battery life , the price , the internal memory size if RIM hide this that mean is not so good for them ….

I guess many people in Cupertino laugh after see the presentation of this wana be

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'threaten'. I can tell you I've been a BB phone user for years and while the phones, and their email and messaging capabilities are great, web browsing and applications suck. I get the impression that BB will be marketing these tablets at corporate businesses - going after the enterprise-wide connected groups.

I will make one observation: It seems like, anymore, there are so many new tablets coming out that it will be a tad comical - everyone jockeying for position. If there were one or two serious iPad competitors - that would be one thing. But 7 or 8 really dilutes the field.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
some shadow still stay concerning this device : like the battery life , the price , the internal memory size if RIM hide this that mean is not so good for them ….

I guess many people in Cupertino laugh after see the presentation of this wana be

That seems a little harsh to me. Has Apple themselves ever "officially" announced the specs of the current Ipad? It seems to me the only way people figured out the CPU and internal memory size (assuming RAM here, not storage) was by taking the thing apart and posting pictures. I think BB is just trying to build up some anticipation, not unlike Apple's "next big thing" press events.

KILLERkpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been reading about the BB tablet, the specs are good, but it just seems to be more like an oversized smart phone- I know, the iPad could be described as the same thing, but a 7" screen does seem kind of small.

I have used plenty of BB phones and never really got around to liking the BB OS.

I have no doubt some manufacturer will sell a tablet that trumps the iPad, I am just not sure teh BB PlayBook does it.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I imagine most of the competitors to the Ipad will have better hardware specs (it wouldn't be hard, let's admit it). Chances are they will have better support for things like Flash. They will probably have more convenience features, like USB ports, HDMI outputs and replaceable batteries. What they will not have however is the App Store. I cannot see BlackBerry making a serious run at the App Store and that pretty much kills the chances for success in my opinion. I don't see the screen size as being a huge plus or minus. People will learn to live with the screen if they embrace the device and they have access to the apps that they want.

As far as I can tell, the only devices that have a chance at making a run at the Ipad are the Android devices. There is already a growing application store and as long as developers continue to use it there will be devices to compete with Apple.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That seems a little harsh to me. Has Apple themselves ever "officially" announced the specs of the current Ipad? It seems to me the only way people figured out the CPU and internal memory size (assuming RAM here, not storage) was by taking the thing apart and posting pictures. I think BB is just trying to build up some anticipation, not unlike Apple's "next big thing" press events.

@Dave don’t confuse me , Apple disclose what the user need to know , like storage size , battery life, weight & size and they spend more time to present what you can do

Rim can be a serious competitor of iPad, but i don’t think that will be with this device , maybe the next gen

BB made good mobile for email and messaging, but other than this they are far away from Cupertino and yet everyday Apple eat market share from them ….

iConcerning Android, this OS will be soon the smartphone of the poor : less app’s , cheap price, thousand of un-usefull feature but i don’t see them being a real leader

Last : Apple need to have a real competitor in iOs that will push them to be better

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I think the Playbook announcement can only be great news for the iPad. The prospective release date of 1st quarter 2011 is very close to when a iPad 2G would be released so any killer advantages of the PlayBook over the iPad would presumably be addressed in the 2nd generation iPad.
One thing that actually puts me off the PlayBook is the size - it's in no man's land - too large for a phone and too small for a truly usable tablet imho. I love the form factor of the iPad but then I guess I am not a true road warrior with it.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iConcerning Android, this OS will be soon the smartphone of the poor : less app’s , cheap price, thousand of un-usefull feature but i don’t see them being a real leader

Last : Apple need to have a real competitor in iOs that will push them to be better

That is pure opinion, nothing else. Thousands of non useful features? I guess that depends on who you are asking. A lot of this depends on the market you are looking into as well. In the USA I would say Android will become the smart phone of the masses, there is no such thing as a smart phone for the poor when you have to pay $40 a month for a limited data plan. People are tired of being tied to one crappy service provider in the USA as well. Of course, all of this has nothing to do with the Ipad ....

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

That is pure opinion, nothing else. Thousands of non useful features? I guess that depends on who you are asking. A lot of this depends on the market you are looking into as well. In the USA I would say Android will become the smart phone of the masses, there is no such thing as a smart phone for the poor when you have to pay $40 a month for a limited data plan. People are tired of being tied to one crappy service provider in the USA as well. Of course, all of this has nothing to do with the Ipad ....

Dave did you buy an Android phone ???, i have several in my cabinet if you want i can send you some for good price …

Concerning the Smartphone of the masses (or poor as you want) , how many people really use more than 12% of the web function in their mobile ???

The Apple Ios device stay centered in the needing like: keep you busy while you are waiting or on transportation, GPS, music, function

I know well ATT suck, and i am confident Apple will soon work with other operator in US.

PS: my opinion is based on my knowledge from 1996 in mobile phone field , witch at that time the Leader is US based company ( Moto, Moto ) but being arrogant and deaf from the market … they go back on the queue i hope Apple will not do the same

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dave did you buy an Android phone ???, i have several in my cabinet if you want i can send you some for good price …

lol ... I wish you would have asked me that last week before we traded my wife's iPhone in for a Droid 2! I could have used a deal.

DewWorm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't find the bb that interesting, but I do like the Samsung Tab idea and plan to check it out if Sprint carries it. I see uses for both my iPad and a Tab, so I would not consider the other tablets a real threat - I just want a more portable tablet at times, even though I do carry my iPad with me many places I go.

Truth is that Apple, BB, and Android all have their die-hard fans, as well as detractors, who will continue to defend them till death do them part, and there are others of us who don't give a hoot about the company or OS and just want to buy whatever tickles our fancy at the time. I think competition is great and in the end it is we consumers who win with awesome products continuously being released. Long live freedom of choice!:D

Most reactions

Latest posts