What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Roll, Taking Pictures

jdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2 - kids got ahold of this unit. Now there are no wallpapers available, and when I take a picture it goes somwhere into oblivion. There is no camera roll. Where in the heck are they going? Very frustrating. Can a "restore" clear this up? Thnx.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try these common fixes first. If they don't work we'll see what else might be wrong.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.
and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
jdub

jdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Try these common fixes first. If they don't work we'll see what else might be wrong.

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.
and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

No apps involved here...but, I have done the reset. When you take a photo it does not show up anywhere; the camera roll is non-existant.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No apps involved here...but, I have done the reset. When you take a photo it does not show up anywhere; the camera roll is non-existant.

Both the Camera and Photo app are involved, but a reset would have cleared them from memory anyway, so it's a moot point.

Just out of curiosity, what happens when you take a screen shot? Press the home button and the power button at the same time, briefly. You should get a picture of the screen in the camera roll. I'd like to know because that would tell me whether the Camera app is not saving the picture, or the Photo app is not displaying the camera roll.

If you'e had the iPad for less than 90 days, don't forget you still have free Apple Tech support.

I was going to recommend going to Settings > General > Reset and Restore All Settings; but I tired it just for giggles and I'm no longer giggling. It's far more involved than I thought it would be (on iOS 5 anyway), and longer (since I'm restoring my settings from iCloud), so I think I'll let it finish and maybe experiment a bit more before I suggest you do the same.

25 minutes to go.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you go into settings- brightness & wallpaper and tap the arrow on the right in the wallpaper area, is camera roll listed. If so, tap the arrow to the right of camera roll, are your pictures there?

In settings -general -reset does reset home screen layout bring the icon back?

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you do a google search for -issue with camera roll- there are a number of posts that dicuss a disappearing camera roll. They seem to be related to the iphone, but maybe some information you can use.

Are you using the latest iOS (5.0.1 I think)?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, done with the reset, twice.

On iOS 5 (I can't test older versions) the Reset all Settings requires you that you really really mean it with a couple of dialog boxes, then goes through a couple of progress bars. Once it is done it takes you through some basic setup for language, location, network, and a couple other things.

When that is over it will ask you if you want to restore like new or restore from a backup (iCloud or iTunes). This is kind of scary because it seems to say you are going to replace everything on the iPad if you go new. You are not. Even your account settings for mail, calendars, etc will not be bothered, let alone your apps an data.

That said, the first time I did it I chose to restore my settings from an iCloud backup. When it finished I had to start the iPad again. I got a couple dialogs about restoring apps, and a warning that some apps could not be restored. I have to assume this meant some of the settings in the apps, since all apps are present and accounted for. It did take several minutes for the whole thing to complete.

The second time I went with the new iPad option. This was fast and clean. The email accounts survived, but most other settings defaulted. The most obvious is that I'm back to the raindrop background.

The second is what I recommend you try, assuming the Google search suggested by dbr_52 doesn't turn up something better.

You will need to go through your Settings in detail to get things back to exactly how you wanted them.

Last edited:
OP
jdub

jdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drb_52 said:
If you go into settings- brightness & wallpaper and tap the arrow on the right in the wallpaper area, is camera roll listed. If so, tap the arrow to the right of camera roll, are your pictures there?

In settings -general -reset does reset home screen layout bring the icon back?

They are not there

OP
jdub

jdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drb_52 said:
If you do a google search for -issue with camera roll- there are a number of posts that dicuss a disappearing camera roll. They seem to be related to the iphone, but maybe some information you can use.

Are you using the latest iOS (5.0.1 I think)?

I will check that search. Tks

OP
jdub

jdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok, done with the reset, twice.

On iOS 5 (I can't test older versions) the Reset all Settings requires you that you really really mean it with a couple of dialog boxes, then goes through a couple of progress bars. Once it is done it takes you through some basic setup for language, location, network, and a couple other things.

When that is over it will ask you if you want to restore like new or restore from a backup (iCloud or iTunes). This is kind of scary because it seems to say you are going to replace everything on the iPad if you go new. You are not. Even your account settings for mail, calendars, etc will not be bothered, let alone your apps an data.

That said, the first time I did it I chose to restore my settings from an iCloud backup. When it finished I had to start the iPad again. I got a couple dialogs about restoring apps, and a warning that some apps could not be restored. I have to assume this meant some of the settings in the apps, since all apps are present and accounted for. It did take several minutes for the whole thing to complete.

The second time I went with the new iPad option. This was fast and clean. The email accounts survived, but most other settings defaulted. The most obvious is that I'm back to the raindrop background.

The second is what I recommend you try, assuming the Google search suggested by dbr_52 doesn't turn up something better.

You will need to go through your Settings in detail to get things back to exactly how you wanted them.

Hmmm. I suggested she do a restore. I was not there, but itt did not return the pictures. I think next a restore from itunes, e.g. Plugged in. She has not used cloud yet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
jdub said:
Hmmm. I suggested she do a restore. I was not there, but itt did not return the pictures. I think next a restore from itunes, e.g. Plugged in. She has not used cloud yet.

Ok. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP - Sent you a private message with a couple of links that might be of some help.

OP
jdub

jdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drb_52 said:
OP - Sent you a private message with a couple of links that might be of some help.

Thank you. I am waiting to hear back from daughter.

OP
jdub

jdub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jdub said:
Thank you. I am waiting to hear back from daughter.

To those who gave input...thankyou.. A restore hooked to itunes did the trick. Personal issues resulted in taking so long for me to respond. Again, thank you.

Most reactions