What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying Ipad in the US

koden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to the US in a about 2 weeks.
Will it be possible to by a ipad 2 or is there more than 2 weeks waiting time for a ipad 2?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to the US in a about 2 weeks.
Will it be possible to by a ipad 2 or is there more than 2 weeks waiting time for a ipad 2?

Depending upon where you're coming from and what model you intend to purchase be careful if you get a 3G model. In the US, as I'm sure you know, there are two models - Verizon, which is CDMA - and AT&T, which is GSM. Only the AT&T model works outside the US, CDMA is not supported anywhere else that I know of, not even Canada. Also, even the GSM models need to be initialised (i.e. data plan started up) in the US. If you don't do that you'll be unable to use it outside the US. If it's been initialised in the US the microSIMs from other countries will work just fine in it subsequently.

I'm not an expert on the warranty implications - there have been some contradictory posts on the Forum recently as to whether US iPads are covered under warranty outside the US - perhaps someone has a link to the relevant Apple URL?

Also, when calculating whether to purchase an iPad in the US please be sure to take into account any taxes or other import duties that you will be required to pay when returning to your country of origin. Many posters see the 'sticker' price of the iPad in the US and forget about the tax implications.

Tim
Scotland

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depending upon where you're coming from and what model you intend to purchase be careful if you get a 3G model. In the US, as I'm sure you know, there are two models - Verizon, which is CDMA - and AT&T, which is GSM. Only the AT&T model works outside the US, CDMA is not supported anywhere else that I know of, not even Canada. Also, even the GSM models need to be initialised (i.e. data plan started up) in the US. If you don't do that you'll be unable to use it outside the US. If it's been initialised in the US the microSIMs from other countries will work just fine in it subsequently.

This was very informative Tim. Went into my notes.:D You are so smart, my friend!

Most reactions

Latest posts