What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bummed about iPad2

PAustin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello from Des Moines.

After many months of deciding if I want/need an iPad I finally broke down and purchased an iPad2 wifi only model. I've used friends iPads before and I've had an iPhone for many years but.... I didn't realize until after I received my iPad that it does not have GPS. This is extremely disappointing in that I wanted to use the iPad for aviation and without GPS it just isn't going to work. So my comment/rant is, why in the world would Apple only put GPS's only in models with wifi + cellular when you don't even need a connection to 3G to use it. This just boggles my mind.

Sorry guys - Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine too. I use an iPad 2 3G which has never seen a SIM, and for that very reason. I'm a trucker and I use the GPS capability every day. The iPad would be useless to me without it.

I download my maps while I have a wifi connection, and then no longer require any Internet connection. I'd have a chat with Apple and see if they will accept a return for exchange. The extra $130 is well worth it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello from Des Moines. After many months of deciding if I want/need an iPad I finally broke down and purchased an iPad2 wifi only model. I've used friends iPads before and I've had an iPhone for many years but.... I didn't realize until after I received my iPad that it does not have GPS. This is extremely disappointing in that I wanted to use the iPad for aviation and without GPS it just isn't going to work. So my comment/rant is, why in the world would Apple only put GPS's only in models with wifi + cellular when you don't even need a connection to 3G to use it. This just boggles my mind. Sorry guys - Paul Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The GPS feature and the cellular functions share a lot of the same circuitry, which is why GPS capability is only available on WiFi + Cellular iPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts