What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 16gb wifi only: can i add gps module to this model.?

alun101_uk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

As mentioned, I have a wifi only model iPad but have seen suppliers of iPad spares offering replacement gps modules.

This I believe is standard fit in the 3G model iPad.

Q. Can the gps module be fitted in wifi only model or does it need the 3G to work (A.GPS)?

I guess one question I'm sure to get asked is why would I want to do it... well, I intend to buy TomTom for iPad so I will either need a Bluetooth gps or preferably fit an internal one.

Will it work or is there another option? I don't really want to fit a 3G module as well as I don't want to have to put a sim on contract or payg.

Thanks in advance

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
.Q. Can the gps module be fitted in wifi only model or does it need the 3G to work (A.GPS)?

The options are limited but the GNS 5780 will work.

The difficult part is finding a GPS app that will download onto a WiFi only iPad. Many vendors seem to think that if you don't have the 3G model (with built in GPS) you can't use GPS software. See http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/20237-gps-app-wifi-ipad.html.

It looks like Navigon it is a good option. It sounds expensive by AppStore standards but, when you consider that it includes Navteq maps, it is very reasonable by GPS standards.

I believe that the GNS feeds into Location Services as per the official Apple recommended process, it should work with any GPS app that will download to your iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You definitely want to read the thread provided by the previous poster before investing any serious money here. I think you are going to have a difficult time - it might be worth following up that thread with a further post to see if anyone has actually managed to achieve this.

The problem with the iPad is that GPS functionality is on the same module/chip that provides 3G. Apple do this because both 3G and GPS use the same frequency range and, as a result, it's possible for them to share the same RF (radio frequency) components. Since the RF side is relatively bulky, this makes sense.

You've probably seen a couple of web sites that have done a detailed iPad 'tear down' and there are lots of pictures there of the GPS/3G module and antennas, so it's relatively easy to see what would be involved in any retrofit.

As the other poster suggested - and it's discussed extensively in the thread pointed to - another issue is whether the maps are stored on the iPad or downloaded dynamically. For example, the iPad's native 'Maps' app downloads the maps as and when they are required, thus mandating an Internet connection. WiFi is OK of course, but clearly places severe limitations on mobility.

If you're in the UK at the moment, as your 'location' suggests, you're clearly another person who either is up very late or very early - or both!!

Good luck with your 'GPS quest' - please post the results of your endeavour!

Tim
Scotland

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're in the UK at the moment, as your 'location' suggests, you're clearly another person who either is up very late or very early - or both!!

Well, it's Sunday evening here, having played a relaxing round of golf this morning at my local golf club (Welcome to Muirfield Golf Club).

Seriously though, I believe that the GNS with Navigon will work but I haven't actually tested it.

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Elf-Receiver-iPhone-66-channel/dp/B0035Y7ZJ2/ref=pd_sim_e_3]Amazon.com: Bad Elf GPS Receiver for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad (66-channel, SBAS/WAAS, 10Hz): Electronics[/ame]
I'm thinking about getting this one
The reviews are positive and it seems to solve the possible problems stated above.
If I don't get it it's because hotspotting from my Incredible works well for driving and navigating

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts