What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Built NY Neoprene Laptop Backpack

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just spotted this Built NY streamlined neoprene laptop backpack on Amazon, going at more than 55% off the RRP at $35:

41F4p7mTJ1L.jpg

Link to the item - Amazon -- Built NY Neoprene Laptop

Last edited:
OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just eceived the Built Neoprene bag today - and as the picture suggests, it is a very un-backpack-like-looking item - it really looks more like you've put on a ballistic vest backwards. It is made of water-resistant neoprene, which means it can stretch to fit if you choose to load it up.

The carrying area is divided into two compartments: the main inner section (closer to your body) is accessible via a double-zip along the top, and it is designed to take laptops up to 17". I could put my iPad in a leather folio and a A5-sized journal together in the main compartment without significant deformation of the bag's sleek, curvy shape.

The outer accessory section has a smaller concealed zipper which is the same size as the main section. There is a breathable air-mesh lining between the bag's inner section and your body, so it is quite comfortable to wear even with a device inside. The bag comes in three sizes, S, M and L, which are supposed to match the same T-shirt size that the user wears (but see below as well.) Because of its odd minimalist configuration, it does make you think about what exactly you want to bring along.

Along the front straps (which is in fact part of the same piece of neoprene stretching to the back) is another hidden pocket which, despite its small-looking size, actually fits an iPod or a phone. There is also a chest strap for added support, and it can be rolled up and velcro'd away if not used. I also tried putting on the bag, then wearing a jacket over it - and it's actually not too noticeable that something is under the jacket, that's how ergonomic and form-fitting its shape is.

There are a few downsides. First, only the main compartment has an opening which runs along the entirety of the top - the accessory section has a much smaller opening, which restricts what you can put inside, and because it's the outer section, odd-shaped items (like chargers) could deform the streamlined look of the bag. The quality of the stitching and finishing (made in China) leaves a bit to be desired - I'm certainly handling the zippers with some care - although admitedly this is a very oddly-shaped bag to begin with.

All in all, for $35 this is a pretty good deal - I would have hesitated to get it at full price ($80) but with 55% off, I reckon it was a quite a nifty saving. I think Built NY may be discontinuing this item, because on their own website they're only offering the Large-sized bag, and a few other vendors (including Amazon resellers) have ceased offering the S-sized altogether. The one I have is L and it fits me comfortably - I'm about 5' 9" and 155 lbs. I'm looking forward to carrying this coooool bag around, and pretending to ignore the sideways looks and curious stares.

laptop-backpack-large.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts