What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Browsers

Hoagy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm a lifelong window user and got an iPad 16 version4 (with retina screen and SIRI) on my birthday last Wednesday when I became 82. Very sweet of my kids so that now I can stay in my chair and follow the world from there... But I control my household budget regularly and my hang up with Apples IOsx is that I cannot read my banking statements and my spreadsheets anymore in separate windows to transfer info from one to the other. OK there is a Duo Browser. But getting my data files from the iCloud from my desktop computer produces spreadsheet files, though very well visible, incompatible with the iPad Spreadsheet app.
Can anyone help ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not quite as useful as being able to see two windows at once, you can swipe back and forth between two open apps using a four (or five) finger swipe.

There are a number of Office compatible apps that should be able to open and edit your PC's spreadsheets. None of them are 100% compatible, but unless you have some really complicated spreadsheets, they should work.

Numbers (my favorite iPad spreadsheet app) is very nice, but not good if you intend to keep editing the same file on both the PC and iPad. Because it actually converts the document to and from it's native format, errors can and will creep in, getting worse with each such transfer.

Other possible choices include:

QuickOffice
Documents to Go
Office HD
Polaris Office
and the other one I"m always forgetting the name of, because it's too similar to Office HD.

Most of these will let you put your spreadsheet in a syncing folder on the PC (via DropBox or other cloud service) where it can be edited by both the iPad and computer apps.

Another possibility is to control your computer from the iPad. This is clumsier than using the iPad or computer themselves, but it would allow you full control of your computer from anywhere you care to sit. Splashtop is free, and a decent choice for this. There are others.

You also might look into finance apps like Mint. Depending on your bank they can download and help you reconcile your statements right from the iPad, or computer, or a website.

OP
Hoagy

Hoagy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a program called 'Duo Browser'. Have a look. Hans

OP
Hoagy

Hoagy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your useful suggestions Hoagy (Hans)

Most reactions

Latest posts