What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Browser with Disable Images Function

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any thoughts/ recommendations wrt blocking images when browsing on an iPad? I have tried Atomic, which has a setting but does not seem to function. Dolphin talks about it a lot, but then forgets to mention that the ability is for the iPhone and not iPad... Icab says it can, but I am not willing to pay to check that it does not work. (But I am willing to pay if it does!)

BTW I am not looking to jailbreak my Air 2, which I think may offer methods.

It seems such a trivial option; I had it with my first Mac running OS7 (I think) back at the start of the net when I hooked up with a 1200/75 baud modem, if I recall correctly, and there has always been the function available in browsers since then.

TIA,

Nick

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any thoughts/ recommendations wrt blocking images when browsing on an iPad? I have tried Atomic, which has a setting but does not seem to function. Dolphin talks about it a lot, but then forgets to mention that the ability is for the iPhone and not iPad... Icab says it can, but I am not willing to pay to check that it does not work. (But I am willing to pay if it does!)

BTW I am not looking to jailbreak my Air 2, which I think may offer methods.

It seems such a trivial option; I had it with my first Mac running OS7 (I think) back at the start of the net when I hooked up with a 1200/75 baud modem, if I recall correctly, and there has always been the function available in browsers since then.

TIA,

Nick
Have you tried the Puffin browser? It's a paid browser app that comes with a free two week trial period. This should be long enough to determine if it can block images like you want.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, since I own it (though haven't used it in a while) - it appears that the iCab browser app DOES hide images.

Here is a screenshot of Amazon's main site (with site images disabled via iCab's settings):

bb2f36d88cbbf17b11251af344f10461.jpg

Not an image to be seen. So, maybe good enough for you?

Marilyn

OP
NSquirrel

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great. Many thanks for both replies above. I will try Puffin, for the experience/ knowledge, but Icab certainly does the job.

Nick

Update: Just to correct something above, Atomic does work in terms of disabling images; when I tried altering the setting, I had already looked at the two test pages. As the images were already cached, they showed up. Trying again on another web page, the images are hidden.

Still to try Puffin and Icab, but found that Mercury has the facility too. (Now I am getting spoilt for choice :) )

Last edited:

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wish we could use AdBlock like on FF and Chrome. It really works well and is just an add on

OP
NSquirrel

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ibill: Mercury (free) has extensions including an Ad Block. I have not explored as to how good it is yet. (Good collection of FF extensions would go down well here too. With Chrome, I got fed up with persistent unrequested updates hogging processor power -or lack of, on XP, so still tend to avoid it.)

Nick

OP
NSquirrel

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just tested it briefly. It stops some adverts, with a space and advertisement underneath. Many seem to get through, though. I suppose the advertisers are wise to the means of blocking. (No Script would be a good FF add-on too, for adverts.)

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got Mercury. Took me awhile to import my book marks. iPad goes to safari so I couldn't import to chrome. Got on lap top and they imported to Mercury on my iPad. Really don't now how it happened. LOL. Thanks for the idea looks like it's going to work okay

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Squirrel, thanks again. Mercry is a huge improvement. I like tha fact you can magnifie a web site and it stays on every page even when you exit and come back. Huge when using a tablet. No disappearing title bar unless you want to go to full screen, then you can put a mini bar on the bottom of the screen. A GREAT REDUCTION IN ADDS!
Cons: the keyboard lock up deal is back, but only in this forum. Go figure. I'll deal with it.

OP
NSquirrel

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ibill: Glad it is going well. I, too, had difficulties importing bookmarks. (Would have helped if I had a system later than XP on my ancient laptop.)

LannyC: Thanks for recommending Weblock. I will look into it.

Most reactions

Latest posts