What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brain teasers

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK.

Brian Cooper drove the Avenger.
Alan Brown drove the BMW.
Colin Andrews drove the Cortina.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Throwing logic out the window, the answer is obvious (once you line them up).

Alan Andrews = Avenger
Brian Brown = BMW
Colin Cooper = Cortina

Another thing can be deduced here. Obviously all the men are superheroes.

Note: I don't really believe this is the answer, but I had to amuse myself, if no one else. ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well I can confirm twerppoet, though your answer was well thought out........it's only bloomin right!!

Well done.

They are superheroes? Cool. Was it he Marvel or the DC parking garage?

I can only imagine how many logic puzzle masters were, um, irritated, to find out the logic part was a smoke screen. Or was it? I started to grid it out, then when I saw it was two puzzles in one I decided to wrack my brain on something I might be able to solve.

Not that I've made any progress on Leelai's puzzle. Every time I think I find a pattern it falls apart on me.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nothing to do with Superheroes, but the answer was still Bob on!

Just joking about that. The comic book world is full of alliterated names: Clark Kent, Bruce Banner, Peter Parker, etc. It's not limited to heroes, of course, but it's so common that it's become a bit of a joke.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

I can only imagine how many logic puzzle masters were, um, irritated, to find out the logic part was a smoke screen. Or was it? I started to grid it out, then when I saw it was two puzzles in one I decided to wrack my brain on something I might be able to solve.

Not that I've made any progress on Leelai's puzzle. Every time I think I find a pattern it falls apart on me.

You are very clever to solve Ramblers. I did the same as you, but when I realized it was 2 puzzles, I gave up.
Great thinking!

Keep trying on mine! I'll give a hint later if you'd like.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Right, after taking a much needed rest from Richards, I think I've finally clicked with yours leelai, my answer is 1113213211

Now trying to explain it may take a while....each line describes in number form the line before it, I.e the first line was 1 so the second line reads 11 meaning one x 1, the third line 21 meaning the previous line had 2(two) x 1's.......etc etc.

So the answer I gave means......1 x 1, 1 x 3, 2 x 1, 3 x 2, 1 x 1

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Right, after taking a much needed rest from Richards, I think I've finally clicked with yours leelai, my answer is 1113213211

Now trying to explain it may take a while....each line describes in number form the line before it, I.e the first line was 1 so the second line reads 11 meaning one x 1, the third line 21 meaning the previous line had 2(two) x 1's.......etc etc.

Darn! So simple. Good job.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are very clever to solve Ramblers. I did the same as you, but when I realized it was 2 puzzles, I gave up.
Great thinking!

At least half the credit should go to Richard. I hadn't noticed the strange coincidence of name choices until he laid it out. Even then I thought it was just an inside joke the puzzle maker put together, probably after laying out the puzzle with A, B, C variables first.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TheRambler said:

Very clever! You're right.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MrLuke said:
I prefer science and logic to all the other stuff so I'll post my two pence. It's probably because the metal inside the rubber heats up. This causes both the metal and rubber to expand, but due to the nature of rubber it will expand more. This expansion is probably what's causing the handle to move along. Was that what you were thinking?

Proud owner of a 32GB wifi iPad2 iOS5.

Hi there Mr Luke,
That's pretty well what I was thinking. I did also wonder whether a minuscule pocket of air trapped at the end of the grip expanded toad to the movement. However differential movement under heating is it. The movement is approx 30%.

This reminds me of the usage of bimetallic strips to open valves under thermal movement in engine cooling jackets. Also the design of metal rod clock pendulums which stay at a constant length under different temperatures. Sorry I'm dreaming...... :)

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

Well done. I had started on the gridded out approach. Clue pairings were not working at all. I gave up and slept on it!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi there Mr Luke,
That's pretty well what I was thinking. I did also wonder whether a minuscule pocket of air trapped at the end of the grip expanded toad to the movement. However differential movement under heating is it. The movement is approx 30%.

This reminds me of the usage of bimetallic strips to open valves under thermal movement in engine cooling jackets. Also the design of metal rod clock pendulums which stay at a constant length under different temperatures. Sorry I'm dreaming...... :)

You could test the air pocket theory by drilling small holes in the end of the grips. You've got the observation and the theory. Now you need an experiment to complete the trifecta of the scientific method.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You could test the air pocket theory by drilling small holes in the end of the grips. You've got the observation and the theory. Now you need an experiment to complete the trifecta of the scientific method.

Yes, but at my peril...of a domestic. Lol.

I'll try a pin hole.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, here's a clue to one of my teasers: -

It is United Kingdom related ...............

The teaser is: -

. Here's a UK themed one.

. No plan like yours to study history wisely.

. Q What does this relate to?

. Q What is the interpretation of the sentence?

I hope the extra clue helps :)

Most reactions

Latest posts