Boston Herald Bashes iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Sonny Burnett, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I am sure that all of these things will be in iPhone OS 4.0. Remember, iPhone OS 3.2 wasn't really designed for the iPad, they just made tweaks to it so that it would work acceptably. IPhone OS 4.0 is designed with the iPad in mind.

2. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Well if rumors are correct (and lately they have been) expose should be finding it's way into iPad 4.0 which would include the world clock and the calculator!

3. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It will be a lot better and make the iPad the device that it should be. Kind of reminds me of back in 94 when Apple came out with the Power Macintosh. They patched the original OS (I believe 7.6) for it, but then they wrote OS 8.x with it in mind.

4. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I to miss the clock, apps are okay but you have to turn them on to function (alarm for example).....

One thing that continues to bug we when people talk about the iPad is their insistence that it lacks "real" computer functionality. Exactly what do most people use their home computers for? The vast majority use them for Internet and email and gaming. Others will add photos, music and movies to the mix. It is not an accident that the iPad is designed to do those things with ease. It is designed to be used the way most people use their home computer, not to cater to the 5% that want to do spreadsheets or video editing on the couch. In short, it has all the "real" computer functionality most people need in their home. Those that degrade it for not having a "real" OS ( whatever that is) don't stop and think that there have been Samsung Q1's and then like for years. What has turned on the marketplace to the iPad is the fact that it is NOT just another miniature PC without a keyboard.

5. Finnedog

Finnedog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Do you think the software for the iPhone and the iPad will diverge and become separate operating systems??

6. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Good question, and at some point I think they will have to. There will be common aspects and shared componuts, but the iPad will likely grow and develop in a different direction than the iPhone.

The iPhone OS is Apples mobile device OS, but over time I am sure will develop different flavors. The iPhone OS is an excellent OS for mobile use. OSX or windows are not. For mobile use you want to be able to turn the device on, check email, and turn the device off..... In less than 30 seconds. You want to be able to instantly use it's functions. You do not want to worry about it you have the right drivers, have the correct .dll installed, or endure a 30 second wait for boot up, and down. You do not need to do every possible thing you can do in front of a computer workstation. You just need core, consumer use functionality.

But, in the future Apple could design an "iBusiness" device designed more for an office/professional environment. Anything is certainly possible.

7. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    They're already quite different and the fact that iPhone is getting it's os update in summer and iPad isn't until fall means they could become very different. I think cosmetically they will remain the same as the interface is great, but they will become internally more diverse until iPad os become the consumer mac os and osx becomes the pro os.