Boston Herald Bashes iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Sonny Burnett, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  2. Rasputina

Rasputina iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Written by a guy who clearly has never owned an Apple product.
  3. mjeagent

mjeagent iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This guy is a joke. How can you take up most of the article bashing the IPad on the typing function. It was the same when the Iphone came out. I can't type on this - it's too hard. Now look. People swear by the Iphone virtual keyboard because they took the time to get used to it and practice with it. I don't understand how someone can feel confident as a professional reviewer/writer and put a review in the Boston Herald based on a few minutes with the product at the Apple Store. That's like me walking into a car dealership, sitting in a car, and walking out ready to type a full review on that car.

Shame on you Boston Herald!
  4. Dallasfoto

Dallasfoto iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well the Boston herald is for Neanderthals anyway...
    Yes the iPad will take some time...typing to be sure.
    Editing...photoshopping...some things it just will need workarounds.
    But overall I think this thing is the future.
    Dragon speak is quite good!
  5. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    It seems many in the tech blog/zine world are iPad bashers. It really is no surprise. The iPad was not designed for them, it is for regular folks. The tech heads have their power tied to the overly complex operating systems, and cryptic commands of the box PC of the last 25 years. They will fight change, but its coming.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  6. Dallasfoto

Dallasfoto iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay so typing is a perfect on the iPad right now I'm using the Dragon dictation dragon speak in a minute cut-and-paste and put it in before I think it's going to take some time to get used to using the iPad for doing work things getting worked up. It's not perfect as my laptop but if its benefits far outweigh any few negative things that house plus if you really need to forget the keyboard I'm able to type on this with no problem

I did not edit this graph.
  7. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0

Interesting, how well does the dictation software work on the iPad?
    How much training did you have to do to use it?
  8. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I assume you used a headset as suggested in the instructions for Dragon... Anyway, it works good for me, plus for a free little app... it's pretty cool...
  9. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    If they rave about something, then they are on the payroll. If they are objective, they get ignored by the extremists. If they bash what others praise, they get attention, which sells media. Besides, griping about typing on the iPad is silly. I am using a standard HP keyboard and I am always going back to correct typos. So how is it going to be any different?
  10. mjeagent

mjeagent iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No headset needed. It works very well with off the internal mic. Although, you have to be in a quiet environment to use it at near 100% accuracy. Give it a try, it is a free app.
  11. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +467 / 0
    You are so right it will be the same Its funny reading that he spent a short time in an Apple store them formed an opinion and he gets paid for this. This is yet another bad article written by an ignorent writer who lives in a small box. Does he ever write any thing constructive or positive ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Finnedog

Finnedog iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Who cares about these naysayers???

I don't.

I like my iPad. It doesn't do everything I would like it to do but nothing does. But it does what it does really well and does it the same every time.

I can't wait until the HP Slate comes out so we get some real competition and comparisons.
  13. Rasputina

Rasputina iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep apparently a few minutes of in store testing qualifies one to have a review, I can't believe he got paid for that either.
  14. Dallasfoto

Dallasfoto iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes it's a free app and the mike on the top side works fine. Like all Dragon, it will learn my voice over time and get better.

And no one liked Blackberries when they came out.

I am getting better and better with the keyboard. I love this thang!!!!!
  15. kravdog

kravdog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I'm glad I read this thread! the best thing about this article is the fact that it made me download Dragon- what a great tool! thanks for trashing the iPad:D
  16. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The only question left is will the Boston Herald sell subscriptions for the iPad?
  17. rob the elder

rob the elder iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am sorry, but where was the bashing?

He had a lot of positive comments. And he correctly stated that the IPAD has a limited keyboard but that you can add an external one. And if you want to do hard core computer work or run your aps, the IPAD will not so that.

This looks more like fact than bashing.

I admit that he did talk in a somewhat pajorative way about the kool-aid drinkers but if you parse the article he told no lies.

- the device is so sleek, slick, light and, well, cool.
    - the touch-screen keypad is cumbersome. (true for a touch typest)
    - keypad impresses by intuitively popping up onto the screen when you need it and disappearing when you don’t.
    - you’ll soon catch yourself hitting the wrong keys and having to backspace and correct. (true for a touch typest)
    - You can buy a keyboard for the iPad, but that comes at an extra cost and means more stuff to carry around. (but good for a touch typest)
    - The iPad is lightweight -- about 1.5 pounds -- and simple to a fault,
    - no USB ports (true, but solvable with addons)
    - no DVD drive (true)
    - no place to plug in an Internet cable or modem (true but with wireless who cares?)
    - no opportunity to upgrade memory (true)
    -The operating system is also annoying because it’s the same one the iPhone operates on (fact and opinion. Disagree with the opinion but for many its true. Probably biggest reason some are calling the IPAD a giant IPOD because it lacks a "real OS")
    - can’t play any of your other Mac software
    - nor can you run videos or Web pages using Flash program (true, you can argue that its for your own good but that does not make it false)
    - also means only running one program at a time (sadly true)
    - Not only is the device itself attractively modern and
    everything you’d expect from Apple, it also has a display that’s sharper and clearer most Netbooks.
    - iBooks app is crisp and inviting
    - Web sites that you can open look easier to read (non-flash)
    - for someone looking to do real work, Netbooks may be the better choice (also very true)

Again, when people denegrate the facts and attack those stating them, they weaken their own credentials and become kool-aid drinkers not worth of serious consideration.

I choose to rejoice in what the IPAD does and not beat up on anyone who chooses to point out that it does not do everything. For its target audience, non-technical computer user wannabes it is outstanding.

For people who are happy with a really big IPHONE that because of its increased size and performance does what the IPHONE does only a whole lot better, its a great device.

For people who want a really outstanding IPOD touch for casual use, its a great device.

But if you want to use "real" computer functionality, then the IPOD does not do that very well. Yet.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  18. iserian

iserian iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not so much Bashing -

I don't really see the bashing.

From someone who has been using two of these since the 3rd I agree with most of his points. He praises the pieces that I think the PAD excels at - EReader and Movie Watcher etc... Lets be honest here the on screen keyboard is never going to be as good as a real keyboard. In this form factor the on screen is all that we are going to get. At the end of the day if I need to get some work done the PAD is the last device I turn to.

I can tell you that my netbook's, laptop's etc.. did not accompany me to the beach this weekend. The Ipad is the KILLER toy/gadget for sitting at the beach - reading, light surfing (mifi) etc...
  19. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Too many of the pundits see the iPad as a computer and try to compare it to other computers. The iPad is a media device that blurs the distinction between media players and computers. It is in a young phase of existence and is indictitive of the future. However, let me remind all that this is a Boston journalist(?). Boston is known as beantown. We all know what beans do to people. So my advice is to blow it out...............
  20. docfreed

docfreed iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    He Did Not Bash Enough!

There are a lot of missing (important apps)! What were the Apple boys thinking - where's the clock, for example so you can set the music to go off at a set time - this has been on the Touch since day one, and on Ipods before that. Serious flaw - maybe El Jobso wants to sell us one.