What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Books on the Ipad -- No Backup!?

nerdstaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have a bunch of free domain books that my wife will use to teach an English class. Like Pride and Prejudice for instance. If I use a book like that or a PDF in Stanza or iBooks...is there a way to backup notes, highlights, and/or annotations , in case of emergency...basically books that arent DRM protected. I could do it on the *device with the OS that shouldn't be named*!

Thanks

OP
N

nerdstaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or does it back them up when I sync? If not..is there an App out there that is better suited for this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iBooks will save and back up some stuff, but I wouldn't use it for that. Much too limited, and you can only restore back to iBooks via iTunes (as far as I know).

There are several notetaking apps that might work better. Many of them have DropBox support, so that you can save the entire, annotated, pdf as your backup. Here are some links with suggested apps you can check out. Don't get too hung up on their ranking. Pick the one that has the best feature set for your use.

PDF Annotation Apps: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide
PDF Readers For iPad: iPad/iPhone Apps AppGuide

OP
N

nerdstaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm looking for more of a reader that will allow notes, bookmarks, highlights....on formats other than PDF and then allow for backup. Anyone know of such an app?

OP
N

nerdstaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I am not clear enough.

For instance, if I put a file I converted through Calibre such as an epub or something of the sort...is there an app out there that will allow me to not only read the document, but take notes with highlights and even add bookmarks THEN also have the functionality to back up these highlights, notes, and bookmarks in case of an unforseen catastrophe or switching devices? I know Kindle and iBook apps do this for the DRM protected books, but not for the ones added from other resources.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts