What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blocking apps

marsm

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi

We are developing an app for a client, and they do not want their staff, who get issued with iPads, to be able to access safari, email, app store, etc. We do, however, require wifi for the app.

Is there a relatively easy way to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. The iPad is a consumer product. You're asking for features that businesses may well require. And that's why Lenovo promotes the configurability of their ThinkPad Tablet in areas such as this.

Edit: Clearly the comment above is just plain wrong. See below.

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Contact Apple and ask them about setting up profiles for business users. What you want can be done through custom profiles and custom app loading directly from Apple. We recently deployed nearly 1000 iPads without Mail, the App Store or Safari even installed. Apple offers a wide range of services specifically tailored to business users.

Last edited:
OP
marsm

marsm

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Contact Apple and ask them about setting up profiles for business users. What you want can be done through custom profiles and custom app loading directly from Apple. We recently deployed nearly 1000 iPads without Mail, the App Store or Safari even installed. Apple offers a wide range of services specifically tailored to business users.

That's great advice. Thank you. Do you have to pay for this service?

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do this with restrictions in settings-general We have 6 ipads at our store for customers to use and we turned off the app store, disabled the email and set age/rating limits on apps, music, movies and tv shows. I just tried turning off Safari and went back to the desk top and opened the YouTube app, did a search and watched a video. So even though Safari is turned off, wifi is still working. When you disable an app, then the icon doesn't even show up on the desk top. So, go to settings-general, tap on restrictions then at the top of the next page tap on 'enable restrictions', enter a 4 digit code which it will prompt you for a 2nd time to make sure you typed it correctly. Then start going down the list and turn off what you don't want people to have access to. For mail, tap accounts and then select 'don't allow changes' then hit the arrow to go back to restrictions. When all done turning off apps simply hit the home button and you will notice that the app store icon, safari icon and others that you turned off are no where to be found.

OP
marsm

marsm

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So interesting you should mention this because I just got an email to this effect from a friend and I've just looked at the things you can restrict and it's perfect: YouTube, Safari, iTunes, iTunes and you can restrict installing and deleting apps - it's just perfect.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is really nice to be able to do this especially for business who have them available for customers to use. I can't tell you how many times I got called downstairs to unlock the restrictions so that I could delete an email account that a customer set up. You would think it would occur to them to go to the website to log in but they would click the mail app and set up an account. Just make sure you remember the 4 digit code you assign to restrictions :)

Most reactions