What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bill Gates thinks Windows tablets have a big chance against iPad & Android ones

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alan Kay is a class act. I wish people, especially younger generations, new about the continuum of learning, research and inventions. It might help to encourage contributions, to help people recognize that there is value beyond limelight and immediate rewards, and to know that contributions help build toward the future. While there are figures like Steve Jobs who deserve credit, it's important to recognize that without many others, he wouldn't have been able accomplish what he did. I say that because it might encourage younger generations to know that they also can contribute, too, and that it's OK to "fail," because trying and risking are in themselves worthwhile. And figures like Kay highlight highlight how there are rewards and great value in the work itself -- because external rewards and glory are great, but intrinsic value is what keeps inventors inventing.

Nicely said, Kay!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you actually looked at it and tried to use it? It's awful.

I honestly don't think it is awful....but I don't see any compelling reason to move to it over Win7. Some parts of it (Win8) are kinda new and useful...but on the whole, the UI fails. Note that I have Office 2013 installed on some of my PCs and it feels very Win8ish. MS is in for a pound if its in for a penny.

This all feels so MSish...they did the same kind of thing when the woke to and found the Internet. Then they went whole hog and put the Internet in all of their products, and created about 50 zillion security problems, too.

To be honest, IMO, MS has wasted a lot of user people-hours with its half-baked software over the years. It shows just how entrenched people can be with the tools they use. After you get over their learning curve, it's too hard to leave even though you know that there are better options elsewhere. MS counts on this....and they even try to bully users into following their lead.

I remember back in the day when finding new PC software was fun....now, it feels as if all innovation in PC software is all but gone...largely, IMO, due to MS killing off the competition. It's one of the reasons I enjoy tablets/mobile devices...new software to try....MS didn't get to kill that...but if their Surface/Win8 were to become successful, the exact same thing would happen for tablets and mobile devices that happened for PCs.

So yeah, I want competition...but I don't want to see a clear winner...especially not MS! We don't need "One to rule the others".

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With the big mistake that is Windows 8, Microsoft really should be smart and give Office to iOS users.

What do we know about Office on iOS? I'll recant my comments if the program is better than Pages. Not sure Apple's restrictions will make Office a winner; I am not sure it wont be better than Pages, either.

Before I get all excited and stuff, I want to see it in action.

Lots of people seem to think it is or will be a great office suite, but at this point, I just do not know.

I feel safe in saying the iOS version will not be as feature filled ad the desktop version. Macros and custom toolbars might not be available; the ability to automate certain things is likely not available, either.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What do we know about Office on iOS? I'll recant my comments if the program is better than Pages. Not sure Apple's restrictions will make Office a winner; I am not sure it wont be better than Pages, either.

Before I get all excited and stuff, I want to see it in action.

Lots of people seem to think it is or will be a great office suite, but at this point, I just do not know.

I feel safe in saying the iOS version will not be as feature filled ad the desktop version. Macros and custom toolbars might not be available; the ability to automate certain things is likely not available, either.

I don't think anything from M$ could be better than Pages, but they could at least make it available.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This all feels so MSish...they did the same kind of thing when the woke to and found the Internet. Then they went whole hog and put the Internet in all of their products, and created about 50 zillion security problems, too.

DISCLAIMER: Bob Loves Microsoft!

My guess is if Apple had the market share MS has, you would see far more holes needing a plugging. Contrary to popular belief, there are ways to mess you up, Apple or no Apple. Apple is NOT immune to virus issues and it has--in my considered opinion--more to do with a smaller user base than some inherent "hackproof" Apple OS.

Those that want to create issues choose MS as their favorite thing to ruin because there are so many of us depending on MS. When our laptops are damaged, it is not like most users with jobs that do not depend on computers to provide steaks for the BBQ and kibble for their dogs. Our systems die, we die.

Apple is secure, hardly. What Apple is, is not as widely used as Windows.

Also, my opinion is most people create their own problems because they think it will never happen to them. Then it does and it is MS's fault.

I read a storey about a virus infecting the microcontrollers in Apple laptop batteries. I was amazed. Never saw such a thing with my (well, my long lost stolen by people I wish to fall off a 300 story building and land in front of a Sherman Tank and then face 300 years in front of a firing squad; revived and eaten by weasels and sent to the hottest place in the after life where Satan makes them listen to bad rap and eat raw chicken gizzards, wings and thighs, then returned to my Grandmother for a talking too before I beat them with my spiked shillelagh. But that is just me)

The net is evil, but as long as you all have me, it will be A-OK!

Mr. Bill Ellison Gates, writing as Bob Dotcom.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think anything from M$ could be better than Pages, but they could at least make it available.

So let me ask the gathered clan . . . why so hot for MS Office? I also love Pages. The simplicity is one big reason. No distractions due to wanting to edit the icons on the toolbar or hours spend selecting the little avatar like the little doggy or clippy. Whew!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: Bob Loves Microsoft!

My guess is if Apple had the market share MS has, you would see far more holes needing a plugging. Contrary to popular belief, there are ways to mess you up, Apple or no Apple. Apple is NOT immune to virus issues and it has--in my considered opinion--more to do with a smaller user base than some inherent "hackproof" Apple OS.

Those that want to create issues choose MS as their favorite thing to ruin because there are so many of us depending on MS. When our laptops are damaged, it is not like most users with jobs that do not depend on computers to provide steaks for the BBQ and kibble for their dogs. Our systems die, we die.

Apple is secure, hardly. What Apple is, is not as widely used as Windows.

Also, my opinion is most people create their own problems because they think it will never happen to them. Then it does and it is MS's fault.

I read a storey about a virus infecting the microcontrollers in Apple laptop batteries. I was amazed. Never saw such a thing with my (well, my long lost stolen by people I wish to fall off a 300 story building and land in front of a Sherman Tank and then face 300 years in front of a firing squad; revived and eaten by weasels and sent to the hottest place in the after life where Satan makes them listen to bad rap and eat raw chicken gizzards, wings and thighs, then returned to my Grandmother for a talking too before I beat them with my spiked shillelagh. But that is just me)

The net is evil, but as long as you all have me, it will be A-OK!

Mr. Bill Ellison Gates, writing as Bob Dotcom.

???

This is not a discussion of Apple vs MS. This is a discussion of history of MS...this stuff is fact. Apple wasn't even in the picture when all this occurred. It was all MS. These days, Windows is pretty much locked down. I rode the ride the entire way...since DOS...then through each version of Windows, till now. Apple really isn't and certainly wasn't a player until mobile devices took hold.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The thing about Win8's interface is it is totally non-intuitive. The tiles don't bother me one bit (well, I hate the color schemes I see)...but what goes on at the corners and sides of the screen has no logic. Grrgh!

You prefer more of the same or new ideas? New ideas is my vote.

Lest me remind you of the Newton. Should Apple have kept the same OS look and feel and brought it to us on our iPhones/iPads? Not hardly. MS is trying to compete in the Tablet world and I applaud them for doing what they are doing. They (seem to) want their phones to look like their tablets and their tablets to look like our desktops.

And yes, I "hate" the flat tile look, but get use to it because that is exactly what Apple will (likely) give us with the next iOS version: Egad awful flat tiles. And the colors are horrible; they remind me of early DOS programs for some reason.

You can easily use WinStep Extreme and create your own look or use themes that make your PC scream "I AM COOL!"

and . . .

Those that see it will agree.

MS must try new ideas and not everything they will try will be loved. They will be compared to iOS and iOS will likely be compared to something bad when the new look drops. Nobody will be satisfied with every system and that is to be expected. MS will learn from their mistakes and adapt.

For the record, I want Windows "Bob" back. Golly sakes. Or Windows 3.1 with .ini files I can fathom.

Kriztyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think they really do. However, microsoft is currently rowing back, admitting that they did a mistake in forcing people into using win8 without offering a start button for example. Microsoft is moving aggressively and forces Apple to react.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Microsoft won't release Office for iOS until they have at least attempted to force business users over to their Surface hardware to get more than 50% compatibility with Office on the PC.

There are two major issues confronting them.

They are not a hardware company. Not a focus. Never will be. Their hardware will always suck.

Office will be so much bloatware it will never run on a true tablet, so Surface users will be tied to their power cords and keyboards - to the point where they would be better off with a laptop.

They missed the boat and should have been first with a tablet version - rewritten from the ground up - designed around iOS UI guidelines.

They have never embraced a standardized UI, and their tablet version of Office will be so bloated it will require a 128g tablet with 2.5ghz dual Intel processors...

Always suck? Too soon to say. Study Tech 101 and look at the non-sucking stuff that died and the little engines that could and did.

Wayyyyy too soon to write MS off.

Who needs a standard UI? I run WinStep and my UI is as different as it can be. You do not know what the new Office will look like or what will be required. For all we know, it will be partially cloud based and no more filled with features than Pages and the rest.

And yes, MS is a hardware company. Apple does not manufacturer devices they use a contract manufaxcturer . . . the same one we sometimes used.

Fact is, Surface RT is a great device and it is well engineered. It grants those that want Office on a well engineered tablet their wish.

Too soon to tell and trying to guess what is next is wasted time. And when MS learns about tablets, their Surface devices will improve.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think they really do. However, microsoft is currently rowing back, admitting that they did a mistake in forcing people into using win8 without offering a start button for example. Microsoft is moving aggressively and forces Apple to react.

Sales figures will ultimately tell what we the people really want. I will say, for as much as I think I like Surface, the giant is still Apple. We just do not know what Apple will do next and yes, Surface might fail in the marketplace.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Always suck? Too soon to say. Study Tech 101 and look at the non-sucking stuff that died and the little engines that could and did.

Wayyyyy too soon to write MS off.

Who needs a standard UI? I run WinStep and my UI is as different as it can be. You do not know what the new Office will look like or what will be required. For all we know, it will be partially cloud based and no more filled with features than Pages and the rest.

And yes, MS is a hardware company. Apple does not manufacturer devices they use a contract manufaxcturer . . . the same one we sometimes used.

Fact is, Surface RT is a great device and it is well engineered. It grants those that want Office on a well engineered tablet their wish.

Too soon to tell and trying to guess what is next is wasted time. And when MS learns about tablets, their Surface devices will improve.

Most users prefer a standard UI, or at least a UI that they have come to be familiar with. That's the problem with windows 8. It was like huh? Hardware is ultimately only as good as the software that runs on it. Specs are important and all that but if the OS is lame then no amount of hardware slickness will ever help overcome that. I do agree that writing off MS is a little premature. They'll figure it out and end up with a piece of the tablet pie. I just dunno if this is a case of too little, too late. Even windows heavy users like me end up with apple tablets because they are so tight and well sorted. The apps help too. I've had an office solution for over a year now and it works great for me. Should be interesting either way. And competition is always good.

hmoap001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microsoft have massive market dominance in business. I love Bill Gates. But iPad market is growing more and more day by day. Bill Gates apparently is oblivious to the latest sales figures that Apple recently revealed.
The iPad's operating system (iOS) is too limited to let customers make full use of the hardware.
I think It is faster than the windows tablets.

Mod. edit: External links in signatures are not allowed. Please read the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most users prefer a standard UI, or at least a UI that they have come to be familiar with. That's the problem with windows 8. It was like huh? Hardware is ultimately only as good as the software that runs on it. Specs are important and all that but if the OS is lame then no amount of hardware slickness will ever help overcome that. I do agree that writing off MS is a little premature. They'll figure it out and end up with a piece of the tablet pie. I just dunno if this is a case of too little, too late. Even windows heavy users like me end up with apple tablets because they are so tight and well sorted. The apps help too. I've had an office solution for over a year now and it works great for me. Should be interesting either way. And competition is always good.

People can adapt. I went from DOS to Geoworks; a shell of sorts. Not sure of the name. I recall it was on a Prodegy disk. Then I tried a few different shells along the way. I can still work from the DOS prompt if I had to. Actually, i use BASH for many things on my Linux box.

Then windows in various forms arrived. Win 3.1/Workgroups was different. Then came Windows 95. Odd that people waited in line for that OS.

anyway . . .

Now, my work laptop runs a version of Linux which is really a different animal. I adapted, just like many other converts.

I do like Surface and i think I might go with that. Not sure, but it is a thought to be sure.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad's operating system (iOS) is too limited to let customers make full use of the hardware.

I think It is faster than the windows tablets.

Mod. edit: External links in signatures are not allowed. Please read the forum rules.

But there are ways around many of the limits. I no longer see iOS as a problem. just another thing to JB.

I love--more than the iPad--the idea of a tablet. I must earn a dollar here and there and right now, a tablet is my choice.

Most reactions

Latest posts