Bill Gates thinks Windows tablets have a big chance against iPad & Android ones

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, May 8, 2013.

By RaduTyrsina on May 8, 2013 at 11:43 AM
  1. RaduTyrsina

Expand Collapse
    News Team

Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks Received:

Even if it’s trying hard to penetrate the mobile market, Microsoft is yet to become a notable presence in the portable device environment. Android tablets and the iPad especially have hogged the attention of tech lovers everywhere across the world. For example, the Apple tablet sales have swept past the 141 million threshold, keeping in mind that the total number of tablet sold, reported by IDC, is situated at 253 million. Out of those, just fewer than 2 million are Surface RT or Surface Pro tablets.

But even in the face of these facts, CEO Bill Gates remains very optimistic about Microsoft’s future in the tablet sector. He feels that even if users continue to buy iOS and Android tablets, they are secretly unful​​filled because they can’t really type or create documents and presentations, which they could be doing if good old Microsoft Office was there. He believes the market will soon be shifting towards tablets that blend the functionalities of the PC offering a lot more options. Like the Surface RT or Surface Pro of course.

He explained:

“Windows 8 is revolutionary in that it takes the benefits of a tablet and the benefits of a PC, and it's able to support both of those – so if you have Surface, Surface Pro, you've got that portability of a tablet but the richness of a PC in terms of the keyboard, Microsoft Office of a PC.â€

But even if in global terms, Microsoft has a lot of catching up to do, another IDC report showcases that during the first quarter of Q1 Surface has managed to parachute itself in the tablet top five, with a 1.9% share.
Sub-Categories: This article has no sub-categories

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, May 8, 2013.

1. Kaykaykay
      I see very little advertising because I cut TV years ago. I buy gadgets based on what I read in reviews, tech blogs, etc. I'm not loyal to brands.

What any company needs to do is convince me that they offer a better product. I'm not convinced that that's the case with MS tablets at this point. I'm open to changing my mind if products improve, but that will depend on the products, not on any executive blowing hot air.
    2. s2mikey
      IBM actually had a lot to do with the OS we see today. Jobs was more mad that Gates stole it too but got it out there faster than Jobs did. Just saying ;)

As for MS and tablets? I just don't see them making a dent in the market. Even traditional windows guys like me find the iPad a zillion times better than any other tablet and its not even that close. I've been using quick office pro for a while now and it always seems to do what I need it to. Sure, it's not as full featured as the desktop office app is but I don't expect it to be. MS just isn't getting it.
    3. alicepattinson
      I totally agree. Maybe Bill Gates just wants to say something like PLANS . hihihi.
    4. skimonkey
      Honestly, I hope that we see success from windows. To me, it creates competition and allows consumers choices when they are ready to buy. I own Apple products, but also still use Windows based systems for work purposes. Both have served me very well and certainly do not have issues with either
    5. parcas1
    6. iJamesH
      Yeah they're off to a strong start aren't they (rolls eyes)!
    7. Kaykaykay
      I'm all for competition, but they're late and haven't given most iPad owners enough incentive to switch.

I'm a satisfied Windows user (except for that Vista nightmare), so it's not even that I'm an Apple devotee -- I'm open to something better. It's just that MS (or any other company) has to show me a better product.
    8. KevinJS
      The history of personal computing is littered with failures. Competition has never been one of the strengths of the industry, which is why the consumer has been the bit player for so long. Now, we do have real competition. Android and Apple may appear to be locked in a battle for supremacy, but really? Neither of them are going to turn the lights out any time soon.

Microsoft wedded themselves to the PC, and did very well out of it, as did their hardware partners, who did nothing to offer choice to their consumers so long as the money kept rolling in. Now, personal computing has become a little more personal than the PC could ever offer. We all carry the University of Google in our pockets. We demand information, NOW, and we get it. Manufacturers are falling over themselves (no matter what detractors say about locked operating systems) to offer consumers what they want, what they may want and what they haven't yet figured out that which they will want.
    9. Kaykaykay
      Lol. Most industries are littered with failures. Startup Business Failure Rate By Industry | Statistic Brain

I'm not worried about Microsoft, Apple or any other company. If they can't survive and thrive, something else will come along.
    10. AQ_OC
      I see myself using Windows PCs until I die. Same for iOS, Android, and Mac OS. I seriously doubt I will let another OS in here, though. :)