Best video player apps for ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by iPad100, Jan 26, 2011.

1. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    XMBC only runs on jail broken devices.

2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    It does?

3. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Well, if you want to be that picky, XMBC could theoretically run on non-jb iPads, but since Apple doesn't allow it in the AppStore, the only way to install it is through Cydia :D

4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:

I knew that. I was testing you.:D

5. iPad100

iPad100
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So, Apple rejected it for the app store, or it was never offered? If it was rejected, do you know the reasons given?

I ask because there are a bunch of video players on offer, so I'd be curious as to why one was rejected.

BTW, I started this thread some time back and have since tested a number of players. To be honest, most perform rather poorly for things like WMV and FLV, but rather well for DivX, XviD, etc. MKV is so-so, but MKV can be very easily extracted and repackaged into MP4 (very often the video codec used is x264, or at least XviD/MPEG-4, so it requires no recoding) which is a much better option for playback on non-JB iPads.

Of the players I tried here is my subjective assessment.

(1) I currently use:
    - BUZZ Player: good playback on most formats (excellent for FLV, which is handy), reasonable settings/options, OK GUI, subtitles handled (.srt or .sub with same name as movie is picked up automatically, muxed subs not recognised)
    - OPlayer HD: good playback on most formats (better than BUZZ for WMV), reasonable settings.options, basic GUI, handles subtitles

(2) Players I tried and rejected (my opinion/experience only):
    - VLC: didn't play back as well as BUZZ or OPlayer HD, basic GUI (no longer available in app store)
    - YXPlayer/YXPlayer2: didn't handle files as well as BUZZ or OPlayer HD, basic GUI
    - Azul: Crap to use, crap playback, lots of flashing lights but no substance
    - eXPLayer: plays OK (not as good as BUZZ or Oplayer HD), impressive but unnecessary GUI (overkill IMHO)
    - Movie Player: pretty crappy player for WMV, didn't bother trying much else, OK GUI, not sure about subs
    - WMV Player: absolute rubbish, played nothing, I want to demand my $$$ back but am not sure how - any suggestions?

All in all, if you want to play XviD/DivX AVIs most players work well. Subtitles are handled reasonably by most, but I like the way BUZZ and OPlayer HD do it. WMV will play on most players, but playback can be jerky and audio sync can be a problem - I found OPlayer HD to handle it the best, and BUZZ is OK. BUZZ dies a great job with FLV files, which are not so common but often you get a web download in this crappy format and BUZZ handles playback well (OPlayer HD is also OK, but most others had problems with FLV - very jerky, no audio sunc, etc.).

6. adammsu

adammsu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i tried azul... maybe its a new rev or something, but i like it. works well, smooth playback of xvid/divx. only 99cents

7. flydog

flydog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    i tried VLC.. crashes on my iPad ioS 3.2
    VLC on the mac rocks tho..

so i now use CineXPlayer.. not perfect, but does TV OUt via the cables, and has played everything ive thrown at it so far..

i do notice a bit of jerkyness.. but what can ya do..

8. Anthy

Anthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    After testing a couple of media playing apps, I'm still finding that Azul Media player is by far my first choise. The latest version is really stable and does the job for me. I have 300+ movies in all kinds of formats and it plays them all well.

It has: Passcode lock, Landscape lock while watching a movie, TV Out, I Download videos directly, I share via iTunes File and the file formats that are currently supported are: 3gp, sf, avi, divx, dv, flv, gxf, m2p, m2ts, m2v, m4v, mkv, moov, mov, mp4, mpeg, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4, mpg, mpv, mt2s, mts, mxf, ogm, ogv, ps, qt, rm, rmvb, ts, vob, webm, wm, wmv

And the killer is a really great support. Whatever question I have, I get an answer very fast and you see your tips, wishes etc. in the next updates. Great support is what makes a product stand out.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone that is looking for a robust media player.

9. tomy141

tomy141
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I copy fotos and videos directly from an SD card to the ipad via an adapter.
    Fotos can be seen, but videos not (720p MP4 HD).
    I am looking for an app which has access to the directory where imported videos get stored on the ipad.
    I then would like to view the videos on the ipad directly.
    Which videoplayer does this?

10. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I love the latest version of Buzz Player HD. Plays many formats locally and streams from NAS devices - one of the reasons I tried it out. Plays back my MKV files flawlessly on the iPad 2.