1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Best Starter iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by SKP1001, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SKP1001

SKP1001 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    For someone who has never owned an iPad, which do you feel is the best one to start with? There are so many things to consider when looking at them.

Do you have any suggestions for making the choice? Thank you!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +152 / 0
    New iPad - 64 GB.
  3. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +812 / 0
    Hello SKP1001 - as stated there are SO many options - you need to provide some information just to 'narrow down' the choices; e.g. is Wi-Fi sufficient or do you need a cellular connection/plan? Do you want a hi-resolution camera (if so, then the new iPad is you only option)? How much memory do you need (i.e. 16 to 64 MB are the choices)? If you plan to store a LOT of music, images, and videos on the iPad, then 32 or 64 MB would be suggested. What kinds of apps will be used, i.e. is this for pleasure only, business, or both?

I could go on but answers to some of these basic iPad options will help others be much more specific in their recommendations - good luck! :)
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,004 / 1
    Bigger IS better. If you can afford it, get the biggest (or biggest you can afford). Whether you use it immediately, or not at all, the extra money will be a passing regret. Living with a device with too little storage will haunt you until you can afford to correct the error.

If there is any chance you'll take it out of the house, get the cellular version. You don't have to activate an account, but you'll be able to if you ever need it, and right on the iPad. Perhaps the bigger issue is the GPS which you won't have if you get the Wi-Fi only version. It is surprising how much easier it is to use a larger screen map, and the GPS enhances the usefulness of many other apps.

Find my iPad is far less useful without the GPS.

But most of all, stick around and read through the form for a while to see how others are using their iPads. Base you decision on what interests you, not what you are sure you'll do. Leave yourself room to grow.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HappyPelican

HappyPelican iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I would suggest at least a 32GB iPad 2 or 3. The first generation is still good but in my opinion is extremely slow and isn't going to have a dog in this race much longer.
  6. carolyn bowlin

carolyn bowlin iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks and yep the first generation is slooooow, but as a senior citizen I don't know which of the two is slowest.
  7. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026 / 0
    Just to get back on topic...

SKP...I would definitely agree with the other members with thinking in terms of future use. Get the largest storage capacity you can afford. I have the 32GB and it is slowly creeping up to the max...with all my research articles and papers, etc.

There are options for personal cloud options if you'd like to expand out...see this thread by Gabriel1:
    http://www.ipadforums.net/network-attached-storage-nas/74006-personal-cloud-storage.html

Hope that helps you!
  8. PadMan2

PadMan2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I 2nd on the Seagate GoFlex Satellite Hard drive, Also the Airstash SD cards are good. I Have both.
  9. carolyn bowlin

carolyn bowlin iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks. You are so right.
  10. FCJohnny

FCJohnny iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitely get the new iPad. They are awesome!
  11. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +128 / 0
    I don't feel the newest iPad is a slam dunk for every user. The screen upgrade and 4G are nice if you'll benefit from them but not everyone one will. There are terrific deals to be had on the iPad 2 and they a worth looking at, IMO.